Lightroom CC bug: camera profiles

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I discovered there is a minor but potentially quite harmful bug in the latest Lightroom CC classic. I am sure it wasn't there in V5.x at all.

When you set a camera and lens correction profile on and copy settings to another photo or use it to create a preset it now remembers the exact camera combo and will apply it to all new photo regardless of what the actual set up was.

Now I have no idea why you would want a shot made with a telephoto lens to have a wideangle lens profile or vice versa but this is what they did!
To make the matters worse if you change the lens selection from 'custom' to 'auto' and then tweak vignetting amount slider it reverts back to wrong lens! You have to manually select it every time.

Most will not notice this and will just wonder why the vignetting correction is suddenly a little off or the edges don't correct as well as it did. While most of my lenses are very good and barely need any correction at all there have been a few cases (24-70mm at 24mm for example) that left me puzzling till I noticed this.

I thought it would be useful to warn other people so you keep an eye on it.

I tried to reach out to Adobe via twitter but they apparently don't care much.

Not sure I entirely follow (I'm tired and old today ...) - I have found that if the lens selection is set to Default, it always seems to get the correct profile assigned (if it exists). Custom to me would mean you are taking control so if you then apply the lens profile to a different image/lens it most likely will "think" you know what you are doing so to speak - perhaps that is what is happening??. The default behaviour in recent versions of LR seems to have moved more towards remembering what you did last rather than a clean slate each time, pros and cons I guess.

Not sure I entirely follow (I'm tired and old today ...) - I have found that if the lens selection is set to Default, it always seems to get the correct profile assigned (if it exists). Custom to me would mean you are taking control so if you then apply the lens profile to a different image/lens it most likely will "think" you know what you are doing so to speak - perhaps that is what is happening??. The default behaviour in recent versions of LR seems to have moved more towards remembering what you did last rather than a clean slate each time, pros and cons I guess.

Agreed, there is nothing stopping you from applying the lens profile from a different lens if that's what you want to do and if you bake that into a preset then that's what you're going to get. Leaving the lens profile to default should apply the correct lens profile if it's in the database regardless of what preset you apply.

As for Adobe, they have a forum where you can report bugs and they do read them. Twitter is probably not the right place to report bugs.

IF you make a preset or sync settings with the lens corrections set on it will apply incorrect profile based on initial camera setup. I just can't see why you'd want to do it.

However with say white balance it works a little bit different. Auto WB will just apply a new colour on what LR is appropriate so if you want uniform WB you have to set it manually before sync.

IF you make a preset or sync settings with the lens corrections set on it will apply incorrect profile based on initial camera setup. I just can't see why you'd want to do it.

However with say white balance it works a little bit different. Auto WB will just apply a new colour on what LR is appropriate so if you want uniform WB you have to set it manually before sync.

I've just tried this and this does not happen to me.

I've taken a photo taken with my Powershot G1Xmkii and applied some edits in develop module. Lens profiles are for the powershot and CA etc are all applied. The Setup is set to "Default". I've saved that as a preset and checked all the boxes (including camera profile). I've then applied the preset to an image taken with my 6D and 70-200. The lens profile has not changed to the Powershot, but is correct for the 70-200.

I've then gone back to my powershot photo and changed the lens profile setup to "Custom" but left the profile as the powershot one. If I save this to a preset and then apply that preset to my Canon 6D / 70-200 image the lens profile is changed to that of the powershot. This is because I have changed the setting to custom, forcing the profile change in the preset.

I hope that makes sense.

I've taken a photo taken with my Powershot G1Xmkii and applied some edits in develop module. Lens profiles are for the powershot and CA etc are all applied. The Setup is set to "Default". I've saved that as a preset and checked all the boxes (including camera profile). I've then applied the preset to an image taken with my 6D and 70-200. The lens profile has not changed to the Powershot, but is correct for the 70-200.

I've then gone back to my powershot photo and changed the lens profile setup to "Custom" but left the profile as the powershot one. If I save this to a preset and then apply that preset to my Canon 6D / 70-200 image the lens profile is changed to that of the powershot. This is because I have changed the setting to custom, forcing the profile change in the preset.

I hope that makes sense.

That is the behaviour I would expect too.

I hope that makes sense.

OK, it seems you can create a brand new preset and if you are careful enough to keep the profile in 'default' state it will transfer over correctly. So thats good news.

Clearly all older presets from the previous versions have a very high chance to be corrupted like mine. I would double and then triple check them all out. I'm cleaning out all of mine and starting fresh again.

All previously edited photos may have flipped to something else too. I had a few shot on Samyang 14mm and suddenly the distortions came back on many! It's a manual lens so they were all 'custom' profiles in the end. Just keep and eye on things and don't presume every update will be 100% backwards compatible.

Back