Lightroom classic cc or Lightroom cc

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Guys some advise please,

I'm currently still using Apple's Aperture editing software, (probably the last person out there) but need to change over to a Lightroom platform but in all honestly I don't know which will suit me better.? I would also like to be able to import my current Aperture library.
My workflow is quite simple in terms that my library is on an external hard drive with backups so nothing on my computer to slow it down, I would like to be able to do that with Lightroom

Please feel free to chip in.

Cheers

You can download a trial and see what you think.

Essentially Classic has more editing functionality and CC has a simpler/faster interface and cloud based sharing across computers.

Up to you which suits your needs better.

If you're doing your editing, on a pc / mac, then it's LR classic you'll need. If you get, the monthly subscription, you'll have access to both as well as Photoshop CC.

I have not made the leap from old version LR 6 but my understanding is CC is only cloud storage of image files but Classic is like old perpetual license and all images stored locally i.e. on a hard drive on of attached to your computer.

I have not made the leap from old version LR 6 but my understanding is CC is only cloud storage of image files but Classic is like old perpetual license and all images stored locally i.e. on a hard drive on of attached to your computer.

CC will store on both (local and cloud) and is useful if, for example, you use an iPad for travel and a mac at home as it syncs the libraries and photos across both. This is the one advantage of CC, it has many disadvantages too.

Generally depends on your work flow. If local computer backed up to a hard drive only, then Lightroom Classic.
If you want cloud storage and the ability to edit across multiple devices, then Lightroom CC

I quite like CC now, they've done work on both the desktop and mobile apps (and even the web browser version) so that I don't feel the need to use Classic anymore. Anything more advanced, I'll drop into Photoshop

Classic all the way, as you can still sync your collections with Lightroom Mobile and have all of the same editing functionality as the CC version. Don't be put off by the 20GB online storage with Classic, as when you sync a collection with Lightroom Mobile it only syncs Smart Previews, which don't count towards your 20GB storage limit. So you could sync every image you've ever taken and still not use any of your 20GB allowance. The RAW files can live on your external hard drives and you can edit / rate/ cull images wherever you like. I tend to do some basic cropping and culling on my phone while I'm on my lunch break at work now.

Classic all the way, as you can still sync your collections with Lightroom Mobile and have all of the same editing functionality as the CC version. Don't be put off by the 20GB online storage with Classic, as when you sync a collection with Lightroom Mobile it only syncs Smart Previews, which don't count towards your 20GB storage limit. So you could sync every image you've ever taken and still not use any of your 20GB allowance. The RAW files can live on your external hard drives and you can edit / rate/ cull images wherever you like. I tend to do some basic cropping and culling on my phone while I'm on my lunch break at work now.

I'm in a similar situation as Cheffievrs, and find this pretty useful advice. I'm working on trials versions of both, and couldn't really make up my mind. I've used CC more than Classic and was swaying to this mostly from the storage point of view. But, I have plenty of hard-drive storage at home, so if I can really make this work without cloud storage then think it's the way I'll go.

In general, I've found CC a bit more intuitive than Classic, and like the idea of the unified mobile experience. However, there are a few things that I've found annoying about CC too.

- While editing is non-destructive, you can't view your edit history - just undo the changes
- On my iPad (Mini 2), it takes an age to export an image as a JPG - definitely a few minutes at least.
- When I use the application on my laptop (a recent MacBook Pro 13 with the spec maxed out, provided by my employer!), it really destroys my battery life. Like 100% to zero in under two hours. I can get a full day when using this for work stuff. (In fairness, I haven't really tried Classic on here to compare)

My trials are up so, so I need to decide. I reckon I will go with the Classic subscription at £10 - if I do find myself restricted by the storage, this can be upgraded at a later date.

George

I do use LR & PS but I hate the monthly rent, so at the moment trialing Luminar.

That’s only really any use if you only download images to the computer, if you’re travelling then it’s easy to rinse through 20gb of storage from downloading your images to iPad to view/edit.

I still have classic but to be honest, when it gets better export abilities (who doesn’t want to rename exports?) I might make the swap to CC.

I have CC as I said earlier. That has 100gb of storage. I delete stuff that I don't want but still have back up on backblaze and keepers on an external drive

I was trying to use both but have decided to give up on Classic.

I have the plan that includes 1Tb storage, so I tend to add images to CC, let them upload to the cloud, and have switched on the option to save locally as well, which means I have a copy on my PC and a copy online and it doesn't take any effort to manage that. Adding Classic to the mix you can tell it to synch with the cloud, but it then re-downloads the images you've just uploaded to somewhere else on your hard drive, so 2 local copies and each image gets uploaded and downloaded, which seems a waste of bandwidth.

CC appears to do most things I need, locally images are stored in date folders, and they're on a separate drive to everything else, I can keyword all my images and search by them which is the main thing, and as a recent adopter of the software I have no in-grained working practices to get out of the habit of, so I don't see the need for Classic. If I want to do something to an image that CC can't do, I take it into PS.

The big benefit of CC though is I have a PC and Laptop at home (PC in the office and Laptop can be used in the comfort of my front room) and an iMac at work, and using CC I can see and work on all my images from all 3.

Now Lightroom CC supports profiling and presets I'm now moving my library to their CC solution as maintaining my backup system is a pain. The major issue though is the performance of Lightroom Classic CC. My top spec 2017 iMac struggles with it so I've truly fell out of love with it for file management. I've found CC is a lot less sluggish. Then I intend to create albums of work to concentrate on. These will sync down with Classic CC and I can work on a much smaller catalog thats less sluggish.
Another reason for this is I'm constantly offloading images from my Mavic, iPhone & Fuji X100T along with my DSLR. I have an awful lot of library management to do so hopefully this solution will take me away from the desktop as much.

Thanks all that have chipped in, one thing I was thinking of, is keeping Aperture as my file management, and using Lightroom for the edits.?

Just in addition to all this, I use both CC & Classic. I use Classic on my Mac and CC on my iPad Pro 12.9. Both sync and play nicely together. If I am travelling I import the images to CC using my iPad and when I get home they are waiting in the preselected folder. I tend to import an cull on the move and add to a Collection, once at home the Collection shows in Classic and to free up the space on the iPad I drag the collection into Classic's folders.

My main complaint with CC is that it is still unable to create Panoramas, HDR stacks or even carry out cloning without exporting it to an additional app. If they were to sort this, then maybe I could drop Classic

Just in addition to all this, I use both CC & Classic. I use Classic on my Mac and CC on my iPad Pro 12.9. Both sync and play nicely together. If I am travelling I import the images to CC using my iPad and when I get home they are waiting in the preselected folder. I tend to import an cull on the move and add to a Collection, once at home the Collection shows in Classic and to free up the space on the iPad I drag the collection into Classic's folders.

My main complaint with CC is that it is still unable to create Panoramas, HDR stacks or even carry out cloning without exporting it to an additional app. If they were to sort this, then maybe I could drop Classic
I think Adobe are aiming to replace every element of Classic in CC. But it may take years. I do think it'll come though.

Just had a quick look and I see they have added the Clone/Heal function. Doesn't seem to work as well as with Photoshop Fix, but at least its within the same app so you don't end up with multiple copies of the same image in varying stages of edit. Just panoramas and HDR to add then I'll be happy :D

Are you on the 20GB plan or did you go for Classic & CC with 1TB cloud storage?

This is why Affinity on the iPad is a great app to have as it covers the few occasions LR Mobile doesn't suffice.

Are you on the 20GB plan or did you go for Classic & CC with 1TB cloud storage?

I’ve been with Adobe for a few years now so I was migrated into the 20GB Plan

I have just checked my available storage on the Cloud Desktop App and it shows as having used 11% of my 1TB allowance, very nice of Adobe to give me the higher storage allowance even though I still only pay a tenner

Back