Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Just thought I would ask some opinions on editing with a MacBook Pro’s display,
I have always used windows based machines and recently took the jump to Mac,
I’ve got the 2017 13” MBP and the screen is stunning,
But I can help but think when I’m editing my photos on the Retina display and exporting them they look totally different on my iPad 10.5, and iPhone etc..,
It seems like I’m editing the photos to the MacBooks display ( of course I am ) and it looks very good when done,
But on other devices it looks totally different,
Main issue is they all look underexposed on other devices but perfect on the MacBooks display,
Is there any tips etc.. that I should be aware of to make the images look the same no matter what the device after I’ve edited them on the Mac,
I’m guessing maybe as the Retina display on the MacBook is super bright then it’s going to look underexposed on any other device that’s not a Mac ?
I could make up for this by overexposing the image when editing but it then looks silly on the mac’s Display,
I can’t win either way,
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Chances are, if your screen is not calibrated and profiled it will be too bright.

When you are editing you are using the histogram as an aid to your exposure etc... also utilising the clipping display.

The simplistic approach would be to say 'turn the brightness down', however there could be other factors in play and without seeing what you are outputting it is difficult to give specifics

Hi Liam.yes I get a different look on my 2011iMac 27 and the newer anti reflective coated 2017 Mac against both the 12.9 iPad Pro and iPad 9.7 standard.
Much prefer the 2011 Mac but in my case I think it’s because I prefer the reflective glass,looks less digital to my eyes.
Just thought I’d throw that in even though your glass is likely similar in both

Liam, out of interest what mouse are you using and how do you find it ? I am a new mac user yet to buy a mouse.

Thanks in advance.

Liam, out of interest what mouse are you using and how do you find it ? I am a new mac user yet to buy a mouse.

Thanks in advance.
Paul, I just use the force touch trackpad that comes standard on the 2017 MacBook pro’s,
I’ve always had a fancy for the Magic Mouse but I’m happy with the trackpad and I rarely sit at a desk to even use a mouse,
Coming from windows laptops, the trackpad on the MacBook is by far superior, if not the best in my opinion

Thanks Liam, I'm a bit 'fingers and thumbs' for that with the added complication of being a left hander for the pad. Going to try the Logitech MX anywhere 2S.

Retina Macbooks have a very bright display. You'll generally find you will have to dial it down if you want to match iPad and similar. From my experience, a calibrated screen at 120 cd/M2 comes in around 75% of the overall brightness. If you don't have a calibration device, try either dropping about 3 bars down from normal brightness using the " brightness" key, or go into Sys prefs and set it to about 75% and see how that relates

Retina Macbooks have a very bright display. You'll generally find you will have to dial it down if you want to match iPad and similar. From my experience, a calibrated screen at 120 cd/M2 comes in around 75% of the overall brightness. If you don't have a calibration device, try either dropping about 3 bars down from normal brightness using the " brightness" key, or go into Sys prefs and set it to about 75% and see how that relates
Cheers John,
I’ll try that on my next edit,
Just seems so dull and gloomy when used to the full brightness,
I’ll give it a whirl and report back
Cheers

Don't forget that ipad and iphone have automatic brightness adjustment according to the ambient light available.

You can override this if you like, but battery life will suffer a bit.

Back