Lightroom Export and Image order

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Quick question, I shoot a wedding, all cameras are synched in terms of time and date and in lightroom the order is by capture time so the images flow in the correct sequence regardless of what camera / card they are on.
HOWEVER – the file numbers vary slightly. So some bridal prep on camera 1 start at img.7989 whereas on camera 2 they tart img.9652.
All the time I am viewing in lightroom it’s not an issue, when I export them to the ‘client’ folder on my mac they are ordered by file number so the sequence isn’t right. Some bridal prep images are showing after the first dance etc. I cant see any option on the mac to order by time date, even so, the time / date isnt in the fil name and i think the file number would still take precedent.

Is there a way to export in lightroom the EXACT order that lightroom displays them?

Thanks all
Rgds

You have two options

1) In the Finder, sort them by Date Created or Date Modified (View > Show Options if the columns aren't visible)

2) Probably the best thing to do, however, is to ignore the file numbers the cameras have given them and renumber the original files from both cameras in Lightroom - do it after you've imported your sets of pictures from both cameras and sorted them by in Lightroom Capture Date (make sure the clocks on both bodies are properly synchronised before you start taking photographs) or whatever other arbitrary order you want them in.
Library > Rename Photos...

Use some kind of serialisation scheme that makes sense to you. I have mine set up with a date stamp (YYYYMMDD so it sorts properly) and then a separate sequence number series for each day - Date (YYYY)Date (MM)Date (DD)_Sequence # (0001)

If you let the cameras decide your sequences and you use one body more than the other, it's entirely possible that you may end up with one of the sequences catching up with the other and you have duplicate file names from different bodies in one shoot, which would not be good.

Last edited:
Yup - when you export, choose whichever option you need from the drop down menu under file naming. I export using "custom name - sequence". This makes sure its exactly how its ordered in LR. Just remember though to make sure the sequence beginning number starts at 100, 1000 or 10000 depending on the number of files you have.

I favour renaming the originals in Lightroom over doing it just on export, so that you can more easily identify what the file is in Lightroom if someone comes back and says 'can I have that one please'.

Easy if you can just ask them for the file name; trickier if they've got different file names.

You have two options

1) In the Finder, sort them by Date Created or Date Modified (View > Show Options if the columns aren't visible)

2) Probably the best thing to do, however, is to ignore the file numbers the cameras have given them and renumber the original files from both cameras in Lightroom - do it after you've imported your sets of pictures from both cameras and sorted them by in Lightroom Capture Date (make sure the clocks on both bodies are properly synchronised before you start taking photographs) or whatever other arbitrary order you want them in.
Library > Rename Photos...

Use some kind of serialisation scheme that makes sense to you. I have mine set up with a date stamp (YYYYMMDD so it sorts properly) and then a separate sequence number series for each day - Date (YYYY)Date (MM)Date (DD)_Sequence # (0001)

If you let the cameras decide your sequences and you use one body more than the other, it's entirely possible that you may end up with one of the sequences catching up with the other and you have duplicate file names from different bodies in one shoot, which would not be good.

Much appreciated, i didnt even consider the file numbers overlapping. on eor 2 weddings more and that could be a potential issue. There must be a way of naming files in a 5d2 uniquely so that this doesnt happen...

I tried the sort options in the mac but the date created / date modified is recorded as the date / time of export from LR ie the date / time the Jpeg was created.

Yup - when you export, choose whichever option you need from the drop down menu under file naming. I export using "custom name - sequence". This makes sure its exactly how its ordered in LR. Just remember though to make sure the sequence beginning number starts at 100, 1000 or 10000 depending on the number of files you have.

brilliant, thanks

2 jobs to do tonight then. Create preset re exporting and investigate unique numbering / file names for in camera...

Much appreciated, really helpful

Sort by time on import, export changing filename to custom by sequence. I did exactly the same when shooting events with two bodies.

appears you cant rename files in camera on 5d 2 so has to be done on import into lightroom!

many thanks

Why dont you rename the files on import, date - time - camerabody, eg 20140515 080430 d700

Thanks all, worked a treat and will be renaming on import in future.

Much appreciated

Deleted, Not relevant

Last edited:
Back