Lightroom exported images becoming pixelated

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi just a bit puzzled why cr2 images that look fine in Lightroom 3 when exported to high quality jpeg become pixelated especially on the white background.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Simon

he asked what size...there is the option to restrict the size, and also to specify sharpening.. both of which may be contributing to the issue

I think as standard it exports as 100% quality and full size (max resolution) JPEG. If you've been exporting images at lower resolutions and have forgot to uncheck it, that could be the issue.... :)

as standard, I set it to export as exactly what I want to on a job by job basis. It remembers the settings from last time.. that might be the issue

specialman said:
I think as standard it exports as 100% quality and full size (max resolution) JPEG. If you've been exporting images at lower resolutions and have forgot to uncheck it, that could be the issue.... :)

That's what I meant sorry no resizing selected

It seems to be on pics where I boost the exposure a bit to blow out the background or the the white floor properly, it's in those areas of the pic where I get the problem.

Thanks for your help :)

couple of stops mainly, just odd that they look ok in lightroom prior to export :(

specialman said:
Maybe a screen grab off LR and then the exported image would help suss this pickle out :)

Good idea although as stated its probably my dodgy photo and processing skills

craftysnapper said:
To be honest if you are exporting as full size Jpeg at 100% quality then they should look similar to what you are seeing in LR before you export them.

Not if you've stretched the exposure and then applied export sharpening. The artefacts will end up being exacerbated.

Not if you've stretched the exposure and then applied export sharpening. The artefacts will end up being exacerbated.

I'd expect that in shadow areas but not in white areas that he is blowing out with no detail, and not just up to a couple of stops increased exposure.

It seems to be on pics where I boost the exposure a bit to blow out the background or the the white floor properly, it's in those areas of the pic where I get the problem.

Last edited:
one other comment

Lightroom is in a different colurspace to pretty much everything else (Adobe ProPhoto)

Looks fine to me - or are you now asking about post processing (in which case a new thread may be better ;))

It looks ok to me (pixelation wise)
the reason for the colour shift can be a few things...your lights or the backgound itself or your WB set up.

It does appear strange though as the model is lit reasonably well full length but none of the floor is.

What is your light set up?

I suspect your processing is letting you down.

I have a lastolite with elinchrom 400it heads x 2 and 1x head as key via 60x60 soft box

What colour space are you in/exporting in?

not sure on where I check import colourspace? sRGB exporting 100 % jpegs

it is the hi lite and train, I understand I need another light to blow that OUT....

thanks for the posts so far (y)

Interesting. I'm in a non-colour managed browser (Chrome) and it looks fine to me (no pixelation).

Interesting. I'm in a non-colour managed browser (Chrome) and it looks fine to me (no pixelation).

i have just checked on my ipad and it looks a lot better than on my pc, so im edging towards a monitor issue its a Dell UT 2311H in case that means anything to anybody :)

no pixelation here either, thats viewing the largest size (1365 x 2048).

the background does have a small yellow tint to it, but its only slightly off white.

one other thing, are you exporting via the flickr plugin or saving to your machine first? i found the flickr plugin to lose quality and/or not use sRGB.

the background does have a small yellow tint to it, but its only slightly off white.

one other thing, are you exporting via the flickr plugin or saving to your machine first? i found the flickr plugin to lose quality and/or not use sRGB.

hi saving straight to machine, I reckon I have a duff monitor :(

Yeah a while ago gonna dig my spyder out and do again tomorrow methinks

Dell U2410 here ;)

Thats strange, i dont seem to get much drop in quality when i upload.

I see no issues with that photo btw.

This is quite interesting... http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Last edited:
Back