Lightroom Help with Folders & Catalogues

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am having problems with Lightroom tonight, I am using LR5.

I have not moved the LR catalogue from its original location since first using Lightroom about 18 months ago, it is where it has always been on my computer, likewise with the folders containing the photos in the library (where they are imported to from camera). I always back up when suggested by Lightroom. Tonight is the first time I have encountered this problem below.

When I try to look at photos in the library module, they show up if I select all photos at the top of the Navigation pane under catalogue, but the folders don't show below that in the main folder on the drive where they are stored. It will not let me export a photo to jpeg, says folder cannot be found. I have tried synchronising folders but still nothing showing on the left hand pane other than parent folder.

If I open the location in windows explorer all the photos are still there, same with catalogue.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Please can someone advise on how to sort this at all?

Ian

Just to be clear, You can see the parent folder in Lightroom, but no sub-folders. All the images you expect are in the parent folder (albeit without any structure), but when you try to export one of these images it won't let you?

If that's the case, it sounds like your working on the cached 'thumbnail' of the image as part of the catalog.

You're also saying that in Windows Explorer, all the original files are where you would expect them to be.

IFF both of those statements are true, you could look to check the main parent folder in Lightroom is still pointing to the mail parent folder on your hard disk (select the folder in Lightroom and select 'update folder location', although the working may be slightly different on LR5).

Furtim

Yes that is correct to paragraphs 1 & 3 of your reply. I will give your suggestion a go & see if it resolves it.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated, will let you know how I get on.

Ian

Hi

Seems to have worked on some of the folders but not others. Can I re import the missing ones through Lightroom from that folder back in to the same folder. They are in the folder according to Windows Explorer but don't show in Lightroom, so it would appear it is not recognising them for some reason.

After I tried your suggestion, I re tried syncing folders but still nothing.

[emoji23]

If you re-import, you will likely lose any edits you have made on those as the details of the edits are by default held in the catalog; re-importing will treat the images a 'new', so hence unedited.

You can try to 'locate' the individual folders that have not worked - that would keep the edits I believe.

Another option....

Depending on how many edits you've made since your last backup, you could always open up the backup of the catalog and see if that fixes the issues.

I know you'll have checked...but nothing has changed in Explorer has it? A drive letter for example?

I have checked & the drive letter & path is correct. All the folders are now present in the navigation pane, but not all the photos are present in all the folders in Lightroom. I have folders named after the months. The one labelled 'June' has just one photo in it according to Lightroom. But should have more, when I examine that folder with Windows Explorer all the photos are there, they just don't show up in the folder on the navigation pane.

Thanks for the advice both of you, I will try to locate the backup of the catalogue & try what you have suggested. Not sure where the backup is located, but I will have a look & give it a go.

Thank you.

Ian

Hi Furtim

Thank you for all your advice & the pictures showing where I can find filters setting.
Just checked & filters are set to off. I have located the back ups, are you able to advise how I install to a previous back up?

As you can see in the Navigation pane below - for the folder 2015 only May, August & September sub folders are showing, despite the fact there should be a folder for each month & they they are all showing in Explorer.
May, August & October sub folders are showing photos in the single figures in the Nav Pane (see pic), but if I check in Windows Explorer there are about 30-40 photos in each folder & they are still there. It is just that Lightroom doesn't seem to be recognizing that they are there.

upload_2015-11-11_19-41-41.jpeg

upload_2015-11-11_19-41-41.jpeg

Many Thanks

I'm not at my computer as I'm travelling now but I thought it was as simple as double clicking on the catalogue to open it, or use the open catalogue option in the menus and locate it from there.

Just another thought, while the files appear okay in Windows Explorer, are you actually able to open them via explorer - the missing ones, and see the image?

Hi

Yes they appear to all open, I have tried quite a few & they seem OK. I've tried opening in Photoshop & that seems to work. Will have a look at restoring to a back up.

Thanks

Furtim

Thank you very much for all your help, really appreciate it. I have reinstated to a back up at the end of last month and everything appears to be back to normal with only a few photo's missing that I will re-import & edit. Never had this happen before, but I have Learned a few things from it.

Back