Lightroom Help

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Im trying to sort out someones photos and add them to lightroom. I personally have been using it for a while and really like it.

The problems im having are that they have a lot of photos, thousands infact. If I try to add a folder with 15gb+ of pics in it (in various sub-directories) it doesnt seem to work. I get a count up and it never ends.

Another thing, this person needs to be able to backup from one USB disk to another. What is the best way to do this, maybe a sync type program?
It MUST be simple for her to use.

Thanks

First off I think Lightroom has a size limit, I often import 4 or 5gb at a time without issues, but maybe 15gb is pushing it.
I'd manually back up, the danger with an auto backup system is it will back up viruses or errors, I favor a seperate drive that stays unpluged untill I need it. Wayne

thanks, I think im going to try synctoy. She works off one drive and having an extra disc for backups so this program seems ideal.

Any idea what the limit is? Also, any idea if there is a limit on the number of files?

Import the photos in sections. Import the root photo folder by adding the folder to lightroom in the library module. LR will scan the folder and show you all the sub-folders. Untick 2/3 and proceed. Now repeat and do the next 1/3 and finall the last 1/3, still selecting the root folder to start with.

On import are you creating previews at the same time?

Would be inclined to import by selecting a sub folder from within the root folder so you are initially importing in smaller batches and then produce previews once imported.

Look at SyncToy for your backup s/w - a free download from the Microsoft site.

I decided to try the lightroom 2 beta version to see if they removed the size limit and it looks like they have. Its taking a while but working all the same.

Not sure when version 2 will be out for real though.

Back