Lightroom-how do you get LR classic and LR Cc mobile working together?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a question-does anyone have a (easy to follow) guide to getting Lightroom classic and LR CC mobile working nicely together on a desktop and iPad. I’ve been a LR subscriber for over a year but haven’t yet figured out the workflow to get them working together.

My current workflow is:

*import using LR classic to external hard drive
*cull/edit/process in LR classic
*export from LR classic

I would like to know how you can use an iPad in the work flow. It would be great to know how to edit on an iPad. Being able to post to my website (adobe portfolio) using LR would be great too (I gather it can be done using LR CC but not classic).

Any help/general pointers would be greatly appreciated (y)

(Please don’t turn the thread into a debate about LR subscriptions as I’m paid up until Nov 2021 so won’t be changing any time soon. I would just like some advice/pointers about get the desktop/mobile side working rather than this turning into a pro LR or anti LR debate).

Last edited:
View: https://youtu.be/eRdI600JZS0

Skip to around 4:30 to avoid chit chat.

I used to edit on classics and then use drop box/Flickr to share, then I started to sync and then slowly stopped using classic and just used iPad.

I assume it still works as above but not turned on my desktop for months

Last edited:

I used to edit on classics and then use drop box/Flickr to share, then I started to sync and then slowly stopped using classic and just used iPad.

Thanks I will have a look.

If I’m at home I will import photos into classic and add them to a collection marked temp, this collection is marked to sync with The cloud, the photos are now visible on my iPad or in CC.

Thanks for the link to this. I’ve got it working and Im quite impressed. Editing on the iPad is going to be quite useful, especially for the initial pick/reject stage. I still think I will do some editing on on LR classic on the desktop but I can see me using the iPad more often.

If I’m at home I will import photos into classic and add them to a collection marked temp, this collection is marked to sync with The cloud, the photos are now visible on my iPad or in CC.
I’ve gone for something similar except I’m going to go with months. That way I can keep it down to just the latest stuff. I still think I will carry on importing on the desktop as my internet speed is far too poor to do anything else. Plus it will ensure the files on the main hard drive and the backup hard drives too.

Well I don’t know how I’ve not got this working properly before but it’s exactly what I’ve wanted for a while. Being able to edit without being sat at the desktop. Even it’s just culling and rating that’s a big advantage (especially I’m now often shooting at 11fps). Even edits I’ve done so far seem ok compared to desktop edited images. Looking forward to using it more now :)

Well I don’t know how I’ve not got this working properly before but it’s exactly what I’ve wanted for a while. Being able to edit without being sat at the desktop. Even it’s just culling and rating that’s a big advantage (especially I’m now often shooting at 11fps). Even edits I’ve done so far seem ok compared to desktop edited images. Looking forward to using it more now :)
Slippery slope mate, I find less and less reasons to actually use the desktop nowadays, due to iPad/mobile restrictions, I’ve actually started shooting with that in mind, not sure I’ve used the desktop for 2 months maybe.

Slippery slope mate, I find less and less reasons to actually use the desktop nowadays, due to iPad/mobile restrictions, I’ve actually started shooting with that in mind, not sure I’ve used the desktop for 2 months maybe.
I think I will be using the desktop to import files initially as that includes running my backups at the same time (I quite like backups). I can foresee the culling and rating before editing will become iPad only. Even editing may go iPad only in the end.

I’m looking forward to iOS 13 being released as it looks like it will enable the iPad to be used as a second screen, which would be great to use as a “tablet” along with the pencil

I think I will be using the desktop to import files initially as that includes running my backups at the same time (I quite like backups). I can foresee the culling and rating before editing will become iPad only. Even editing may go iPad only in the end.

I'm importing and culling on desktop then iPad editing.

I’m looking forward to iOS 13 being released as it looks like it will enable the iPad to be used as a second screen, which would be great to use as a “tablet” along with the pencil
You can use an iPad as a second screen using the app dual. Ive got it but find the normal iPad a little small as a second screen. A 13 inch pro could be useful.

I'm importing and culling on desktop then iPad editing.
I think I will be the opposite way around. I hate rating and culling sat at a desktop (it’s probably why I never properly highlight which to edit and get bored of editing). It’s not any better now I’m shooting at 11fps as I have hundreds of similar image just ever so slightly different. Sat on the sofa last night rating and rejecting images was great. I need a good workflow as mine is non existent and it’s got me in a mess.

I think I will be the opposite way around. I hate rating and culling sat at a desktop (it’s probably why I never properly highlight which to edit and get bored of editing). It’s not any better now I’m shooting at 11fps as I have hundreds of similar image just ever so slightly different. Sat on the sofa last night rating and rejecting images was great. I need a good workflow as mine is non existent and it’s got me in a mess.

I use photo mechanic to cull so do it in 1/10th of the time LR does it on desktop.

I use photo mechanic to cull so do it in 1/10th of the time LR does it on desktop.
Always interested in how it can help. I've heard several say they use photo mechanic so it would be great to know why its useful.

At present I try to go through a reject pass to clear the obvious out of focus or useless images, then a pick pass to select images for editing. This still leaves quite a few that are neither picked or rejected. Happy for ideas how to improve.

Always interested in how it can help. I've heard several say they use photo mechanic so it would be great to know why its useful.

At present I try to go through a reject pass to clear the obvious out of focus or useless images, then a pick pass to select images for editing. This still leaves quite a few that are neither picked or rejected. Happy for ideas how to improve.

I load the card in PM (don’t import) then you can scroll through images and they’ll load instantaneously. You can then tag if you want to import. Then you can select all the tagged ones and just load those into LR. So you never take the rejects off the card. I can cull a 2-3000 image wedding in easily less than an hour.

Just don't waste a load of time adding keywords to images on LR mobile and expect them to sync back to LR Classic.

Back