Lightroom-intel i5

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick question.
Will lightroom classic run ok on a laptop using an Intel i5 8th gen 8250u, with 16gb ram.
Adobe recommends a 2ghz CPU, as I understand it an i5 8th gen 8250u is 1.7ghz.
I don't know much about computers.

It’ll run - it won’t be blazing fast, but your cpu does turbo up to 3.7 so on export it’ll ram up the speed accordingly.

the 16gb of ram is a good thing for Lightroom as it can be very ram hungry
That you for that. It doesn't need to be particularly fast. My desk top uses Xeon processor 4 core, 4 threads, 2. Something GHz and 12gb of ram and that seems to run lightroom ok.

I think yours boosts to 3.4 GHz? (link)? The laptop I bought at the start of the year is an i5-1035G1 which is 1.0 GHz but boosts to 3.6 GHz. It handles Lightroom with ease, but where it did fall down was the 4 GB of RAM which I've now upgraded and all is good.

My laptop's i5 gets a score of 8000 which beats my older i7 3770k in the desktop by about 1500. The i5 you've mentioned above gets a score of 6071 which isn't far off my i7. I don't think you'll have any problems at all as my older i7 flies with LR.

This is a good site which I use a lot because of all the processor generations etc can sometimes be confusing and misleading: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I think you will survive with it for a while. Also depends on the GPU as adobe apps start to use it more and more.

Personal advise - do all the spot removal first and if it feels too slow maybe do all the brush local adjustments and enable CA correction as the very last thing. This seems to help with overall speed on a slow system.

I think yours boosts to 3.4 GHz? (link)? The laptop I bought at the start of the year is an i5-1035G1 which is 1.0 GHz but boosts to 3.6 GHz. It handles Lightroom with ease, but where it did fall down was the 4 GB of RAM which I've now upgraded and all is good.

My laptop's i5 gets a score of 8000 which beats my older i7 3770k in the desktop by about 1500. The i5 you've mentioned above gets a score of 6071 which isn't far off my i7. I don't think you'll have any problems at all as my older i7 flies with LR.

This is a good site which I use a lot because of all the processor generations etc can sometimes be confusing and misleading: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Thanks for that, it all seems fairly reasonable.

I think you will survive with it for a while. Also depends on the GPU as adobe apps start to use it more and more.

Personal advise - do all the spot removal first and if it feels too slow maybe do all the brush local adjustments and enable CA correction as the very last thing. This seems to help with overall speed on a slow system.

Thanks.
Even using my desktop, sometimes spot removal is slow, so I'll use Photoshop if there's much spot removal and/or brush work to do.
As long as I can use lightroom at a reasonable pace (I'm not normally in a rush) and it doesn't leave me sitting, starring at a screen for minutes with seemingly nothing happening, then it'll be fine.

Even using my desktop, sometimes spot removal is slow, so I'll use Photoshop if there's much spot removal and/or brush work to do.
As long as I can use lightroom at a reasonable pace (I'm not normally in a rush) and it doesn't leave me sitting, starring at a screen for minutes with seemingly nothing happening, then it'll be fine.

I find there is a major speed difference when you do the spot removal. My system is slow and painful. The main benefit of doing in LR over PS that you have the masking to reveal all the bunnies where you otherwise struggle to find them all. Maybe photoshop has similar but I haven't discovered it.
The major disadvantage of going into PS, unless it is required for other reason is that you obviously triple the storage usage and also the thing takes its sweet time too to load up the edited RAW.

Just a quick question.
Will lightroom classic run ok on a laptop using an Intel i5 8th gen 8250u, with 16gb ram.
Adobe recommends a 2ghz CPU, as I understand it an i5 8th gen 8250u is 1.7ghz.
I don't know much about computers.

My Lenovo laptop runs the i5 8265U paired with 8gb RAM.
I use Lightroom and Photoshop and they work perfectly well.
Granted I'm not running big batch edits or doing multi layer edits but it's perfectly adequate for me editing the odd RAW file on the fly.

Lightroom barely needs any processor grunt except for batch processing, inport/export.

i5 is perfectly fine. A fast HD and good screen are more more important to your PP experience.

I've done a few screen grabs of data if it helps at all. I was surprised at the CPU usage with LR when compared to PS, but then it was working with full sized RAW files whereas PS was working on compressed JPG's. I've included the GPU as well with some of them. You want to look at the charts and also the max values (I cleared them before doing anything), because the real-time values will have fallen as I stopped the task and was taking the screen grab.

The hardware is shown for reference.

This is LR loading up about 5-6 RAW files and then some navigating around photos etc plus the memory usage:

LR (values).jpg LR Memory usage.jpg

And here is LR with some quick SPOT editing. The processor demand really shot up:

LR Spot Editing.jpg

Here's PS loading up 20 large JPG files and general navigation. Memory use wasn't too bad:

PS Loading 20 images.jpg PS Loading 20 images (Memory Usage).jpg

And this is PS with me doing some SPOT content aware. Ouch!

PS Content Aware.jpg

Attachments

• PS Loading 20 images (Memory Usage).jpg
    PS Loading 20 images (Memory Usage).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
......My laptop's i5 gets a score of 8000 which beats my older i7 3770k in the desktop by about 1500. The i5 you've mentioned above gets a score of 6071 which isn't far off my i7.

"8000" , etc. Score on what please?

"8000" , etc. Score on what please?

It's from a benchmark site, I think I linked to it in post #4. It's just a guide though, certain software can require difference things even from processors such as single thread performance etc. But it's still a good indication.

Back