LightRoom - Lion Fine Art

Name
T
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

I am trying to edit my Lion Fine Art photo to a Pro one.
Last year I went to a craft fair and there was a Pro photographer there and wife mentioned to me that on his wall was one of my Leopard Photos ! ! ! ! ! ! !

When I started walking towards his stand I noticed the said leopard photo was actually slightly different from mine, however it was actually a lot better than mine,... Lol ! ! ! !

I do like his edit of this Lion

Lion Ashley Vincent.JPG

and this is mine edit ( of a different Lion BTW )

Lion - TW.JPG

I believe mine is just a little flat were the one above has more presence and well, just look a lot better !

What suggestions do you chaps have tweaking my image to have the same colour as the image above ! ?

Many thanks

T

Hi, hope you don't mind an edit?
Is this something like you are after?
I added a vignette centered at the nose, lifted contrast and saturation a tad.

Could probably lift highlights a tad too.

Please feel free to ask for this to be deleted if you wish :)

Edit to add, done via snapseed on my phone.

Lion - TW-01.jpeg

Lifted highlights and touch more saturation
Lion - TW-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, hope you don't mind an edit?
Is this something like you are after?
I added a vignette centered at the nose, lifted contrast and saturation a tad.

Could probably lift highlights a tad too.

Please feel free to ask for this to be deleted if you wish :)

Edit to add, done via snapseed on my phone.

View attachment 378124

Lifted highlights and touch more saturation
View attachment 378134
Not bad t on a phone, what did you tweak !

Not bad t on a phone, what did you tweak !
As above, I lifted Contrast levels, added more colour Saturation, a little vignette centered on the nose, just to cast a shadow on the shoulders. On second image was a little more Saturation and increased the highlights just to make the white 'pop' a little more.

@Tysonator

as you have allowed for showing an edited image.....

I used DxO Photolab5 ~ edited as follows
  • Smart Lighting
  • Color ~ increased Vibrancy and Saturation
  • HSL tool to boost the red channel
NB above were global changes

• Added a 'Local Adjustment' to increase the exposure of the eye(ball)

Lion - TW_DxO_TP_lion edit_90.jpg

Your original
Lion - TW.JPG

I hope my rough & ready 'take' on what I have shown is helpful..............though of course purely my "view" on/of what I would do. Afteral, all post processing is so to speak "cook to taste" ;)

PS as for the image by the other photographer, to my eye the orange/reds are too saturated and the white fur on the lower jaw has a colour cast and IMO is neither 'photo realistic' or 'painterly'. In general I prefer my wildlife to look like the animal it is !

Last edited:
@Tysonator

as you have allowed for showing an edited image.....

I used DxO Photolab5 ~ edited as follows
  • Smart Lighting
  • Color ~ increased Vibrancy and Saturation
  • HSL tool to boost the red channel
NB above were global changes

• Added a 'Local Adjustment' to increase the exposure of the eye(ball)

View attachment 378138

Your original
View attachment 378139

I hope my rough & ready 'take' on what I have shown is helpful..............though of course purely my "view" on/of what I would do. Afteral, all post processing is so to speak "cook to taste" ;)

PS as for the image by the other photographer, to my eye the orange/reds are too saturated and the white fur on the lower jaw has a colour cast and IMO is neither 'photo realistic' or 'painterly'. In general I prefer my wildlife to look like the animal it is !

Thanks for the edit, I do appreciate your time.

So you do not like the pro's colour edit ! ?

Do you thing mine ( with some tweaking IE your example ) edit is more realistic / natural ! ?

Thanks for the edit, I do appreciate your time.

So you do not like the pro's colour edit ! ?

Do you thing mine ( with some tweaking IE your example ) edit is more realistic / natural ! ?
You are welcome.......it did not take too long.

In regard to the other person's image & edit, not so much dislike but just not to my taste for the reasons I mentioned.

If you look at this artists Instagram

I never had time to chat with him (at exhibition setup or takedown) but AFAIK his work is photo inspired and his art is close to the photo realistic and that appeals to me even though the colouring is "art". At the most recent exhibition his Polar Bear underwater was bought IIRC for £960

In regard to your images potential......as I said/inferred above the edit or beauty created is in the eye of the beholder. But yes, for me, there is more there.

PS the way I saw it and what I did in my suggested edit was to bring out IMO the 'aged majesty' of the Lion....and though the angle/PoV does not lend itself to a catchlight I lightened the eye to make it more complimentary to the overall 'light' on the Lion. But all this is just my opinion and view:)

Last edited:
Hers is my latest edit, what do you chaps think ! ?
Looks good (y)
I do agree with @Box Brownie regarding the colours looking more natural.
I think that is a nice balance, I think if you're looking to sell prints, 'pushed' colours could sell as it can catch the eye of the 'average joe', but as a wildlife togger I'd prefer the lighter natural look.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 4.00.47 PM.jpg
Plus a little masking with the brush to bring up the eye and tone down some highlights/exposure selectively.

The original BG selection isn't particularly great in some spots... sometimes LR does better with select BG rather than select background/sky; or the other way around.

Last edited:
You are welcome.......it did not take too long.

In regard to the other person's image & edit, not so much dislike but just not to my taste for the reasons I mentioned.

If you look at this artists Instagram

I never had time to chat with him (at exhibition setup or takedown) but AFAIK his work is photo inspired and his art is close to the photo realistic and that appeals to me even though the colouring is "art". At the most recent exhibition his Polar Bear underwater was bought IIRC for £960

In regard to your images potential......as I said/inferred above the edit or beauty created is in the eye of the beholder. But yes, for me, there is more there.

PS the way I saw it and what I did in my suggested edit was to bring out IMO the 'aged majesty' of the Lion....and though the angle/PoV does not lend itself to a catchlight I lightened the eye to make it more complimentary to the overall 'light' on the Lion. But all this is just my opinion and view:)
Some interesting Art work and I do agree art is very subjective and therefore one can not please all !

I think the lack of a catch light in the eye contributes to the flatness of your image at the moment. Theres plenty detail and texture to work with but if you can add a small catchlight that doesnt look off i think it would add a lot

I think the lack of a catch light in the eye contributes to the flatness of your image at the moment. Theres plenty detail and texture to work with but if you can add a small catchlight that doesnt look off i think it would add a lot

I have added some catch eye, is it too subtle ! ?

Attachments

• Lion King.jpg
    Lion King.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 10
I have added some catch eye, is it too subtle ! ?
Purely my opinion

The catchlight when seen is centred(?) on the black pupil and as so little of the eyes pupil is visible on this Lion and what with the PoV and the angle of view plus that the eye is quite deep set and 'shadowed' by the upper eyelid.................such an added catchlight looks out of place ~ as I said IMO

Purely my opinion

The catchlight when seen is centred(?) on the black pupil and as so little of the eyes pupil is visible on this Lion and what with the PoV and the angle of view plus that the eye is quite deep set and 'shadowed' by the upper eyelid.................such an added catchlight looks out of place ~ as I said IMO

OK, I will move it over when I get home from work

All you comments are very much appreciated

I like the photos, it is great, the only thing to me is I have only seen lions in bright sunlight, and remember them as being more gold than brown, but that is just memory :)

Lion - TWs.jpg

I like the photos, it is great, the only thing to me is I have only seen lions in bright sunlight, and remember them as being more gold than brown, but that is just memory :)

View attachment 378710

Yes, I do see what you mean, I will add some warmer White Balance

Back