Lightroom on a new PC

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a new PC. Woo! However I obviously need to transfer my photography setup to the new PC. I'm sure it's as simple as importing my old Lightroom catalogue and re-syncing the photos to the new drive, as I have done in the past.

However.....

I can't help thinking a single 1.5Gb lightroom catalogue on the same hard drive (a 8Tb HDD) as my photos, containing all of my 5.7Tb of photos isn't the best way to manage my photos! It ran like a snail on my old PC - one of the reasons I upgraded.

What's the best way to transfer to a new PC and possibly set up and configure a new catalogue rather than just import (but without losing the metadata from the old one), and how would you best optimise and configure your system and Lightroom??

I keep my catalogue on the internal ssd and all my photos on a HDD. This was based on guidance I read when I researched this several years ago. Not sure if it is still valid. As mentioned above the Lightroom Queen forum is very good.

I did this last year 18 months ago (I thought it was more recent, but time flies). I worked from a copy of the old drive so that I still had a functioning copy to refer back to.

I copied the catalog across, then the images - I have them arranged in a YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD folder structure, so copied them over by year folder, then linked them back up in the new Lightroom.

I run everything on the same laptop drive, but it is SSD. Having at least the catalog on an internal SSD should speed things up.

Back