Dan
Edit My Images
No
i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz
2 x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
32GB RAM
3440x1440 monitor
Titan X Pascal

Ok so LR isn't this unresponsive from second to second, but it happens enough to annoy me - just pauses from time to time instead of being instantly responsive.

@snerkler tells me LR on his macbook pro works instantly, I do wonder if the PC version just isn't as efficient.

At the start of this video I hit the right arrow key 10? times - it first starts to register when you see the next preview thumbnail select - then after a delay it cycles the images.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ELA9JeWkoqdPvpOcYspIxzrl_CQozUY/view

Sometimes I can cycle right-right-right-right quickly, then I press left - and it pauses for 2 seconds before it changes direction.

As another example I just clicked on a random image, and tapped right 5 times - nothing happened for a few seconds then it came in dribs and drabs.

I'm running the LR catalog and imports on separate internal SSDs
My CPU is only 4+4 cores, perhaps a threadripper would help... but can't afford to upgrade PC at this time.

I tried the disable/enable graphic acceleration, and increase cache size.

What sort of previews do you generate on import? I generate standard previews and Smart Previews on import. This takes a while but performance is really snappy once the import is done. I also have Lightroom set to use smart previews for editing to speed up the Develop module

What sort of previews do you generate on import? I generate standard previews and Smart Previews on import. This takes a while but performance is really snappy once the import is done. I also have Lightroom set to use smart previews for editing to speed up the Develop module

When I imported it had embedded previews, I made a selection of 147 images and built 1:1 'previews' for those

Whilst doing that my youtube music cut out and my mouse was noticeably laggy....

The video you see is with the 1:1 previews built.

i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz
32GB RAM
3440x1440 monitor
Titan X Pascal

Ok so LR isn't this unresponsive from second to second, but it happens enough to annoy me - just pauses from time to time instead of being instantly responsive.

@snerkler tells me LR on his macbook pro works instantly, I do wonder if the PC version just isn't as efficient.

At the start of this video I hit the right arrow key 10? times - it first starts to register when you see the next preview thumbnail select - then after a delay it cycles the images.

Sometimes I can cycle right-right-right-right quickly, then I press left - and it pauses for 2 seconds before it changes direction.

As another example I just clicked on a random image, and tapped right 5 times - nothing happened for a few seconds then it came in dribs and drabs.

My CPU is only 4+4 cores, perhaps a threadripper would help... but can't afford to upgrade PC at this time.

You could try updating your PC Dan :p
Does seem strange,my 2011 Mac works fine with LR6 so got to be a setting or 2 that can make a difference surely

i7 6700k @ 4.7ghz
32GB RAM
3440x1440 monitor
Titan X Pascal

Is that as you're importing, or is that delay you've posted just as and when you're using it? I've just tried mine again and flicking from one image to the next there's no delay (and that's with 14 bit lossless compressed D850 files) but I was importing at the time. I'll try it again next time I'm importing, but usually as soon as I start to import I can browse the images and start editing straight away. The only delay during import is zooming to 1:1, but that maybe because I don't create 1:1 previews.

Is that as you're importing, or is that delay you've posted just as and when you're using it? I've just tried mine again and flicking from one image to the next there's no delay (and that's with 14 bit lossless compressed D850 files) but I was importing at the time. I'll try it again next time I'm importing, but usually as soon as I start to import I can browse the images and start editing straight away. The only delay during import is zooming to 1:1, but that maybe because I don't create 1:1 previews.

I wasn't importing at the time in the video.

It couldn't be linked to a silent cpu fan profile could it - when the cpu fan decides it needs to spin up there's a blip in performance.. ah I don't know

Wheres the cache stored? With the LR catalogue or on the OS drive (C:)

I wasn't importing at the time in the video.

It couldn't be linked to a silent cpu fan profile could it - when the cpu fan decides it needs to spin up there's a blip in performance.. ah I don't know
Pass, that's beyond my scope ;) Have you optimised the catalogue recently? Do you ever close LR or just leave it open all the time?

Wheres the cache stored? With the LR catalogue or on the OS drive (C:)

Cache is stored alongside the LR Catalog

Imports are to OS C: and Catalog + Cache is on D:

Pass, that's beyond my scope ;) Have you optimised the catalogue recently? Do you ever close LR or just leave it open all the time?

I haven't optimised the catalog, I'll see what happens, I open and closed it a few times trying to figure this out.

I've got over 130K images in my catalogue and don't see this issue...

I do full previews on import to speed up the develop module.
Program on the OS SSD, catalogue and cache on another SSD, this years raw (imports) on another SSD and previous years raws and exports on a large raid.

Which OS are you running? Windows 10 run up performance manager and see where the bottleneck is, disk, processor etc

I've got over 130K images in my catalogue and don't see this issue...

I do full previews on import to speed up the develop module.
Program on the OS SSD, catalogue and cache on another SSD, this years raw (imports) on another SSD and previous years raws and exports on a large raid.

Which OS are you running? Windows 10 run up performance manager and see where the bottleneck is, disk, processor etc

Windows 10 yes,

I separated my stuff into multiple catalogs, weddings, live music, school and other - when i'm not working on something I keep it in the catalog but move it to an external drive.

I just made my LR window smaller to see it side by side with task manager, that took a while and then i tried to stretch it out to fill the screen a bit - and had a few bouts of not responding

performance by dancook1982, on Flickr

Does your CPU have more than 4 cores? If it does LR doesn't work correctly with CPUs that have more than 4 cores. There is a way to limit LR to use only 4 cores, although I don't have a link to it.

Once you do that it will run faster.
Hi Dan,is 4 plus 4 more than 4 if so this would apply if not dont know what else to suggest at moment

I'm running a Dell XPS15 & LR5.7, and while I would not call it instantly responsive, it's certainly less laggy than yours.

Does your CPU have more than 4 cores? If it does LR doesn't work correctly with CPUs that have more than 4 cores. There is a way to limit LR to use only 4 cores, although I don't have a link to it.

Once you do that it will run faster.
Hi Dan,is 4 plus 4 more than 4 if so this would apply if not dont know what else to suggest at moment
Are you sure about that, it says it's best to use up to 6 cores here?

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Well I updated graphics drivers, did a windows update and restart computer, seems better so far - i'll install the latest light-room update too.

Have you increased the size of the cache? The standard is 1 or 3gb if I remember correctly. Adobe recommend upping it to 20gb. I’ve always done that on a fresh install so don’t know how much of a difference it makes, lightroom is pretty snappy on my pc though and it’s nowhere near as powerful as yours.

To increase performance further, if I have a big job on I will create 1:1 and smart previews on import. Once that’s done, Close Lightroom and remove the external drive the originals are stored on. Start lightroom again and it will work off the smart previews, smaller files so nice and quick. Once you’re done, plug the external drive back in and it will start using the originals again and issue the changes. You’ll then be able to export at full res etc. Only slight downside I’ve found is when zooming to 100% to check critical focus the smart preview is obviously smaller, so doesn’t zoom in as far!

One sneeky tip with the above and smart previews if you do a lot of panoramas is that lightroom can still do them from previews so you can create panoramas quickly and don’t take forever. The resulting image won’t be anywhere near as large as a panorama using the originals but will still be a decent size :)

Last edited:
Have you increased the size of the cache? The standard is 1 or 3gb if I remember correctly. Adobe recommend upping it to 20gb. I’ve always done that on a fresh install so don’t know how much of a difference it makes, lightroom is pretty snappy on my pc though and it’s nowhere near as powerful as yours.

To increase performance further, if I have a big job on I will create 1:1 and smart previews on import. Once that’s done, Close Lightroom and remove the external drive the originals are stored on. Start lightroom again and it will work off the smart previews, smaller files so nice and quick. Once you’re done, plug the external drive back in and it will start using the originals again and issue the changes. You’ll then be able to export at full res etc. Only slight downside I’ve found is when zooming to 100% to check critical focus the smart preview is obviously smaller, so doesn’t zoom in as far!

One sneeky tip with the above and smart previews if you do a lot of panoramas is that lightroom can still do them from previews so you can create panoramas quickly and don’t take forever. The resulting image won’t be anywhere near as large as a panorama using the originals but will still be a decent size :)

Set it up for 70gb :)

Interesting about disconnecting originals, I will see how it goes.l currently. I know I had it running well, just seems to slow down over time... And need tlc like it's a ruddy car

Dan that spec far, far and I mean by light years exceeds any MacBook.

I doubt it’s a LR setting I suspect something else is causing the issue. LR makes use of additional cores for batch tasks but single core speed is still king when it comes to everyday tasks.

Is it just LR or are other applications running slow.

I used to have a MacBook and poor LR performance was the reason I went back to pc!

I have a relatively ancient Core I5 2600k with 16GB. I have it configured with LR on the first SSD, the cache and catalogue on a second SSD and the actual photo's on a Western Digital Black 7200rpm 4TB drive. 1080 graphics card and dual 4k monitors.

It absolutely flies, very responsive with everything. I think the key is separating the programme, catalogue, cache and the actual image files onto different drives.

Back