Lightroom sharpen

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Quick question.
I notice by default Lightroom has a sharpen of 25 applied.
Does this mean that there is sharpening on the image, or does 25 actually equate to no sharpening, and in fact a sharpening of zero is a slight blur?
Or should no sharpening be zero?

My understanding is that the +25 sharpening is similar to what you would expect if you were shooting jpeg and let the camera do the sharpening.

Generally, all raw files need a bit of sharpening.

It's simple. If it looks like it needs a sharpen sharpen it. You may need to increase the radius a touch too.

My understanding is that the +25 sharpening is similar to what you would expect if you were shooting jpeg and let the camera do the sharpening.

Generally, all raw files need a bit of sharpening.

Depends what the in camera setting is set to for sharpening. On Nikon cameras it seems to be on a scale of 0-5 (i think) but as I hate in cam sharpening I always leave it set to "0".

Depends what the in camera setting is set to for sharpening. On Nikon cameras it seems to be on a scale of 0-5 (i think) but as I hate in cam sharpening I always leave it set to "0".

Yep. And I am not familiar with Nikon, but with Canon shooting in jpeg there is some sharpening already dialed in in-camera. And it would be a fair assumption to say that the majority of people, especially those shooting jpeg, will not have delved deep enough int the cameras menu system to find that, let alonne make any changes.

I realise the camera applies a little sharpening. I haven't seen any reason (yet) to change the settings from the default.
I do think it's a little odd that Lightroom applies some sharpening as a default though.

Lightroom is probably assuming you are importing raw files, which are not sharpened in camera.

It's very rare that I change the sharpening from default in Lightroom, 25 seems to be a good amount to dial in.

Back