Lightroom Synchronize Folder Strange Behaviour

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Getting some strange behaviour in Lightroom and hoping someone can suggest what might have caused it... I've searched around online and can't find anything that matches.

Using Lightroom Classic, I upgraded from Lightroom CS6 just over a month ago. When upgrading the catalogue was renamed and moved, but none of the image locations on the hdd were moved. After importing the catalogue, I also replaced all standard previews with 1:1 previews.

Nothing has suggested that there are any image files that cannot be found, no question marks on folders in the folder tree in Lightroom, and no icons showing in the expanded cell text in grid view.

However, if I right click any folder in the tree in Lightroom, and select Synchronize Folder... the window appears as pictured here. It seems to want to remove and re-import all photos. I've gone ahead and done this on a small number of photos, it empties the folder in the LR catalogue, and then adds the photos back in, in a new folder, at the top level of my catalogue. Within the file system on the computer, nothing changes.

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 22.45.06.png

When trialling this, it carries out the same processes as a new import (building previews, applying meta data).

I'm at a loss as to why it wants to do this - nothing else suggests these pictures are missing, I can tell it to locate the folder or individual files in Finder and it does so fine.

I could leave it as is, and I might not notice any difference, or I could tell it to synchronize all folders, and if it follows the behaviour that it did when I tested it, everything should be fine, but I'm keen to know why it is doing this!

Is anyone able to shed some light on this please?

chances are you have moved the images to anther location. you may need to tell lightroom where you have put them

Thanks for replying Steve, as stated in my post though, the image locations on the hard drive haven't changed, and as a quick trial, if I move one of the folders from where it should be on the hard drive, it is quick enough to flag up those images which are affected (missing folder/file icons).

Solved - at some point my user folder on the computer had changed from ForenameSurname to forenamesurname, and the change in capitalisation had confused Lightroom. Forced it to relocate the image folders and all is fine!

Back