LightRoom Update !

Name
T
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I have a non cloud subscription version of Lightroom vr 8.1 and on opening the programme a window pops up stating there is an update available, click Yes / no.
Problem is Lightroom can not update because I do not have a cloud a/c and even if I did adobe would want me to purchase LR subscription version.

Is there any way I can update my Lightroom without buying a new version ! ?

Many thanks

T

Below is from the main menu, Help tab along the top of the screen

View attachment 298398

Doh! I missed the ref to non cloud subscription version ~ with emphasis on the missed word subscription!!!!

Having said that, it was my understanding when they introduced the LR Classic CC version.....even though your images were not in the CC cloud, you still needed an Adobe CC account for the registration - verification process. But once you cease to pay the subscription, you are left with reduced functionality i.e. catalogue and library functions are OK but all post processing (Develop) functions are lost.

Based purely on my understanding, did you stop your subscription and hence was that the reason LR would not update?

Sounds like you once had a Lightroom CC subscription (or maybe used the free trial) but stopped it. This link below says what happens once you stop the subscription:

It seems you can carry on using lightroom to upload photos but can’t use the develop module to edit them (quick develop still supposedly works).

If you want the latest update you have to subscribe. I guess the pop up is Adobe way of asking you to subscribe (again) to get you to return.

is there any file that I can copy or down load to on to a LR folder my pc to update the database.
As I suspect as new cameras are released LR will not recognise the RAW files ie R5 & R6 ! ?
Not as far as I know.

LR v6.14 will not recognise raw files from cameras released later than about 2017.

The free DNG converter from Adobe will convert the latest raws to Adobe DNG (their own raw format). It's quicker than you'd expect, and not too inconvenient.
Make sure you download it direct from Adobe's website as there are a couple of hooky sources out there. It's a bit hidden away but persevere and you'll find it.
It's updated regularly for new cameras.

is there any file that I can copy or down load to on to a LR folder my pc to update the database.
As I suspect as new cameras are released LR will not recognise the RAW files ie R5 & R6 ! ?

I believe you are referring to ACR(Adobe Camera Raw), as such I understand that each new release of ACR is tied to the appropriate LR and PS upgrades. Therefore, it is not a simple case of 'finding' that file and dropping it into place in earlier versions of LR.

Box Brownie is right, of course. This is how Adobe forced users to upgrade their perpetual license versions of LR and PS before the creative cloud.

I forgot to say, in my post, that pretty well any version of Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom will recognise and open DNGs for editing.

That’s always been the case when lightroom stand-alone versions were released the new camera compatibility was only available on the latest version (LR5 wasn’t updated once LR6 was released). I don’t think we can expect software released in 2015 to have continuous updates 5 years later to keep it current.

Whatever side you’re on regarding stand-alone and subscription argument we can’t expect older software products to be updated years later. 5 years in terms of software is really obsolete for most software, especially when talking about keeping it current to be compatible with recent released cameras. It also makes me confused when we are talking about £3.5k cameras yet won’t spend £80-100 a year for software to edit their image files. The cost of software subscription is less than the camera will depreciate each year.

That’s always been the case when lightroom stand-alone versions were released the new camera compatibility was only available on the latest version (LR5 wasn’t updated once LR6 was released). I don’t think we can expect software released in 2015 to have continuous updates 5 years later to keep it current.

Whatever side you’re on regarding stand-alone and subscription argument we can’t expect older software products to be updated years later. 5 years in terms of software is really obsolete for most software, especially when talking about keeping it current to be compatible with recent released cameras. It also makes me confused when we are talking about £3.5k cameras yet won’t spend £80-100 a year for software to edit their image files. The cost of software subscription is less than the camera will depreciate each year.

My version of LR I purchased second hand so I did not pay the full retail value, hence my interest in prolonging its useful life.
I do agree that 5 year software could be obsolete and one could not expect a developer to support for a long period, however the alternative of monthly subscription based software will work out very expensive in the mid and long term period.
If photography was my trade then monthly subscription is a must and would be a business expense.
A pal of mine has the EOS R5 and has kingly offered to me for when I do macro or some wildlife shoots ( as the eye AF is truly amazing ) and hence my interest in new RAW files.
In the near future I will hopefully buy a Sony A6600 as my holiday, social day out camera instead of my bulky DSLR EOS 7Dii
He uses Photoshop and has downloaded the new adobe ACR patch for his PS, however as I am a LR user there is no such patch !

Last edited:
My version of LR I purchased second hand so I did not pay the full retail value, hence my interest in prolonging its useful life.
I do agree that 5 year software could be obsolete and one could not expect a developer to support for a long period, however the alternative of monthly subscription based software will work out very expensive in the mid and long term period.
If photography was my trade then monthly subscription is a must and would be a business expense.
A pal of mine has the EOS R5 and has kingly offered to me for when I do macro or some wildlife shoots ( as the eye AF is truly amazing ) and hence my interest in new RAW files.
He uses Photoshop and has downloaded the new adobe ACR patch for his PS, however as I am a LR user there is no such patch !
Sadly there isn’t ever going to be a stand-alone lightroom version again so it’s enviably going to lead to either going with the subscription model or looking for alternatives. If the R5 is only a short term/one off thing the easiest solution as has been said will converting the files to Adobe DNG’s and carry on using LR6.

As a business expense it’s far too good value for both lightroom and photoshop. In a way it’s being undersold considering what you get for business use. To be honest I think Adobe got their pricing wrong as the current deal should have been £20+ per month considering previous price of photoshop. A cheaper lightroom only deal for £5 a month would have been more suitable for most hobbyists and likely got even more people to come over.

It took me several years to workout a cost effective way to see the subscription model as worthwhile. The only way I could make it cost effective was to drop my zenofolio website and use Adobe portfolio that’s included in the Adobe subscription. It works out I pay around £20-25 a year for lightroom once I take off the £50 I was paying zenfolio. I’ve also never paid a monthly subscription either as I buy a yearly subscription each year when it’s cheaper during sales like Black Friday. You don’t necessarily need to pay a £10 monthly subscription.

Back