Lightroom update

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone tried the latest lightroom update with the new masking tools? I had a quick (and I mean quick) play around this afternoon and was quite liking it. It's a lot more intuitive (I think that's the right word) and useful.
It's worth taking a look at Julieanne kost's lightroom tutorial on how to navigate the new feature.

Last edited:
That it will, but after my little play around earlier, I don't think it'll take too long to pick it up :)
Probably not.
It’s a bit more of a faff to add a luminosity mask to a gradient filter for example but also great that luminosity and colour range can be used without another tool first.

The intersect masks is also a very useful feature.

I also really like the ability to view the mask in different ways eg. White on black which can be a lot more useful than a red overlay in many cases.

cheers for the heads up, my creative cloud wasnt online for some reason

Down loaded and had a quick play with masks , so far very impressed.

overall some useful additions. Sadly still no curves in the adjustment tools.

Don't forget keyboard shortcuts for grad filter (M) or Brush tool (K). It saves a little bit of time compared with several mouse clicks.

They should have gone for full PS style layers control panel. I would find it useful to change the opacity of any of the masks. Because why not.

Also like they say in the demo videos I would really really suggest naming the layers if you use more than 1 or 2.

I just logged onto Creative Cloud - a major update to Bridge- Camera Raw & Photoshop too :)

Les

Just had a play with the new masking features on my iPad Pro and I'm very impressed. It seems to do a very good job of selecting a sky or a person as the subject of a photo. I like the subtraction feature so you can exclude parts of the image from the mask. Also love that they haven't kept this just for the desktop or LR Classic and have deployed it for their iPad and phone apps too. Quite amazing the level of editing you can now do with nothing but your smartphone,

Just updated, watched the Julieanne Kost video and had a play. Looks good to me. I have not looked at PS yet but do not use The Bridge; no need with LR.

Dave

Had my first look at this last night, confused me initially as I didn't know that this update was coming. First impressions are pretty good albeit it has crashed on me twice while using the sky mask, it locked up while trying to detect the sky and then shut down. Another issue I found was when using the sky mask when editing an image of a VW beetle it didn't pick up the sky showing through the cars windows so I went back to the graduated filter.

Had my first look at this last night, confused me initially as I didn't know that this update was coming. First impressions are pretty good albeit it has crashed on me twice while using the sky mask, it locked up while trying to detect the sky and then shut down. Another issue I found was when using the sky mask when editing an image of a VW beetle it didn't pick up the sky showing through the cars windows so I went back to the graduated filter.
If you look at the videos, they cover this; it is easy to add to a mask.

Dave

you can add to the sky mask and then use a brush to paint in the windows.
It’s far from perfect but it’s a good start and the ability to add, subtract and intersect masks is great.

I’d like to see the ability to select the sky and then have some sort of control over how much the edges are feathered. I find the hard edge can cause halos with some edits.

Massive update on Photoshop- Camera RAW & Bridge too :)

you can add to the sky mask and then use a brush to paint in the windows.
It’s far from perfect but it’s a good start and the ability to add, subtract and intersect masks is great.

I’d like to see the ability to select the sky and then have some sort of control over how much the edges are feathered. I find the hard edge can cause halos with some edits.
Photoshop update to 2022 ( I've just installed this) works well :)

b1XaKOx.jpg

Les

Loving the new masking system. Making life so much easier and I’ve gone back and re-edited a few old shots with much better results.

For my type of shooting, the find subject action just doesn’t work, but I can’t really blame it, as my subjects are usually behind trees or in thick woodland.

Ive found the radial tool, with the option to then brush out tree trunks invaluable, I can now accentuate the light coming through the trees in the forests, without having the foreground trees also affected. This was possible before, but it’s so mush easier now.

I do wish you could get access to the HSL tools just in the masked area though, unless you can and I’m just being a dunce.

Back