Lightroom will not start up, getting error message.......HELP, please.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using my LR for some years now without any hitches until this evening.
Opening LR version 5.7.1, 64 bit, I get a message telling me,
''LR encountered an error when reading from preview cache and needs to quit. LR will attempt to fix this problem next time it launches.''
Only everytime I try to relaunch I get the same message.
Have tried restarting the computer several times with no joy.
Really need some ideas please.
Andy

Sounds like a corrupt preview file. There will be a file in the same folder as the catalogue that ends with Previews.LRDATA - delete this and try again. Do NOT delete the one that ends .LRCAT as that is the catalogue.

Also check there is enough room on the disk that holds the catalogue and previews.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like a corrupt preview file. There will be a file in the same folder as the catalogue that ends with Previews.LRDATA - delete this and try again. Do NOT delete the one that ends .LRCAT as that is the catalogue.

Also check there is enough room on the disk that holds the catalogue and previews.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, this..I was too lazy and posted a video :)

Hmm!

I found this by Googling

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1308350

It does seem to be versions earlier than 6 that it is reported about.................having said that I thankfully never had that issue.

Hopefully, others can confirm that the solution is still valid ???

Edit ~ too slow to the party.... the link I posted is exactly about the preview cache being damaged.

Last edited:
Thank You All for the very quick advice. And you were all correct ! I found the preview cache, preview.lrdata and deleted it, all 58,283 items, 13.5GB worth !
Lightroom has resumed normal service.
Thank you again.
Andy

Back