In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Guys I am trying out Lightroom 2.1
when I edit in LR then try to edit in CS3 I get
"the file could no be edited as CS3 failed to launch" ( or something like that)

CS3 opens but the file is not transfered.
( both raw and Jpeg)
1st try & it said that I needed camera raw 4.6 which I updated to
from there I just got the "error message" as above.

Never used LR before so I thight I would have a play to see what its like

Its got a few useful tweaks but I don't think that I will be rushing out to buy it
but for now the above scenario is just a minor annoyance and I wondered if I am missing something silly :shrug:

Cheers

Chris, it might be timing related... How long does it take CS3 to load up ? What happens if you have CS3 running and try the edit in ? My PC is slooooowwww and I've had something similar with elements...

It only takes a few seconds for CS3 to fire up John
It makes no difference whether CS3 is running or not same thing happens
Cheers

Chris, please make sure that CS3 is fully updated. One of the new features in LR2 is to edit the RAW file rather than convert an image to TIFF for editing which was the case in earlier versions of LR. This is therefore an upgrade that is required to CS3 and not LR.

I am LOVING LR2 and cannot imagine life without it. (y)

EDIT: Photographic life that is ;)

Cheers Gary but I did a full update on CS3 last night ( along with the camera raw update) it didn't help
I bet I am missing something silly though :(

Chris

Some people are having problems intergrating CS3 with LR2.1.
As suggested make sure you have the latest version of ACR installed. I think it's 4.6. use the update option under Photoshop's help menu.

If that fails try selecting CS3 as an alternative editing software, from within the preferences folder. You'll get a message telling you the PS is already selected but tell it to go ahead.

The problem is a scripting one or so I'm told. This will be fixed with CS4. It's all about the way LR hands off the PS. As I understand it the idea is for PS to do the rendering rather than LR. It appears this is quicker than exporting to PS and then re-rendering.

I have the latest version of ACR for CS3 ( don't get it confused with version 5.0 which is for CS4) and I have no problem. Although I did prior to upgrading ACR.

Also try selecting PSD rather than jpeg as an option, see if that helps

I have ACR 4.6 installed
I can ( only just tried this way) export file to CS3 BUT NOT with "edit a copy with LR adjustments"

Oh well I can't seem me using LR after the free trial so I guess its largely academic:D
none of the other suggestions seems to do anything
Thanks anyway (y)

If it's any consolation... you're not alone! :(

I've spent hours on the Adobe forums (fora? :thinking:) trying to find a fix that actually works but the best I have managed is the 'alternative editing software' workaround mentioned by Chappers. Not a great solution as you can't open as layers or merge to HDR or panoramas with this workaround but at least it does work... after a fashion.

I'm upgrading to CS4 soon which should hopefully fix it once and for all.

If it's any consolation... you're not alone! :(
Now theres a surprise :D

I'm upgrading to CS4 soon which should hopefully fix it once and for all.
So its a plot then by Adobe ?
bring out an updated version of a "cheaper product" and you need to upgrade
the more expensive one to get it to work properly
Marketing at its finest (y)

I am not really cynical BTW :D

Light rooms OK I like the look of it, the layout, some tweaks are useful but
for the amount I do, I will just stick to ( just) CS3 for quite awhile yet (y)

Oh well I can't seem me using LR after the free trial so I guess its largely academic:D

I nearly gave up on it before finishing the free trial but forced myself to learn it in more depth (I used Lynda.com). I was astonished at how much of its functionality I had missed by just casually playing with it... I love it now, don't give up on it too soon. :)

Just a thought. When I export to CS3 I don't get the "export with LR adjustments message". If memory serves, this is the default export option and it exports automatically. If you use the alternative editor you then get the "export with" dialogue box

This changed from LR 1.4 to 2.0

Also check you haven't got the 16 bit option selected

8 or 16 bit makes no difference CS3 come up in the top left corner of preferences >
"external editing" with no option to change or amend it :shrug:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

You need to use set photoshop as the additional external editor
Click Choose and navigate to the Photoshop exe file.

When set up use the shortcut ctrl+alt+e to launch

JUST NOTICED you've got the compression set to ZIP change this to none

It knew it had to be simple ( like me) :D
When I right click to "edit in" I now get 2 options
1)edit in adobe photoshop CS3
2) edit in photoshop .exe.
The second option works
Cheers Chappers (y)

JUST NOTICED you've got the compression set to ZIP change this to none
That didn't make any difference but option 2 as above still works (y)

Back