lightroom

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

im thinking of getting lightroom but have no idea which one to get, the 2 iv seen is lightroom photography plan which seems to incorporate shotoshop, and the other is just lightroom, then they go on about storage, not sure what that means as id just be saving the edited images on my laptop, there both the same price,
any help??
thanks.

lee

FWIW and AFAIK

lightroom CC ~ all cloud based and files not stored on the local computer

Lightroom Classic CC ~ is the variant that is designed for image files to be stored on the local computer.

HTH :)

As Box Brownie says Lightroom Classic CC is designed for storage of image files on your PC. Not only that but it has more functions and geatures than the on-line Lightroom CC version.

Have a think about Adobe Elements 2020 and the video editing suite Premier Elements 2020 .They are both outright purchase on disc or download. A lot cheaper in the long run, there are trial versions on the Adobe site

thanks chaps,
im guessing the LR photography is what your calling the classic? its that something I can just use on my laptop or ipad too, and with it being a monthly payment is it a years term or can you cancel whenever? and I have a Nikon D610
thanks.

lee

The Photography package includes Lightroom, both Classic and CC and Photoshop. I think you can use the package on 2 machines, but not entirely sure, you can verify that on Adobe’s website. Lightroom and Photoshop are available for iPads too, although I don’t use them as I would hate to do any editing on such a small screen. Sharing a catalogue between a laptop and a desktop PC does introduce another level of complexity, but for you, it may be worthwhile, I don’t know.
With an older (relatively) camera you could use an older version of Lightroom, so could get away with a stand-alone version. As Lee suggests, Lightroom 5 or 6 would do the job, again it depends on what you want. Lightroom has come a long way since those versions were released, so you should take a look at the differences and see if any of the newer bells and whistles ‘float your boat.’ Another thing to consider is the likelihood that you may update your camera at some stage, if you are, then the previous versions may be a waste of money. There is a workaround, in that you can use Adobe’s free DNG converter and then edit the DNG files in LR 5/6. Many do, but many others don’t, you pays your money and takes your choice! :)

Last edited:
thanks chaps,
im guessing the LR photography is what your calling the classic? its that something I can just use on my laptop or ipad too, and with it being a monthly payment is it a years term or can you cancel whenever? and I have a Nikon D610
thanks.

lee

As @Box Brownie had explained it...

Lightroom CC use the cloud and your photos will be on Adobe's computers

Lightroom Classic CC use your own computer and your photos will be on your own computer

In the old days, Lightroom CC used to be the one that is on your own computer and save your photos to your own hard drive. Adobe decided to create a new Lightroom software which is only for use online, and your photos is saved on the cloud (meaning Adobe's own computers), and they decided to call it Lightroom CC.

We would get confused if there is Lightroom CC and Lightroom CC. To stop us getting confused, Adobe decided to rename the original as Lightroom Classic CC.

Adobe's Photography Plan will include both the new online Lightroom and the old fashion on-your-own-computer Lightroom Classic as well as Photoshop. If you pay for the Photography Plan, you can have both the Lightroom and Lightroom Classic. It is up to you to decide if you want to use both, or prefer to pick one, since they're both included in the price tag anyway.

Lightroom CC is the one that can be on your computer, laptop, tablet (like iPad), smartphone, etc.

Lightroom Classic is the one that is only installed on your own computer (including laptop).

What we're calling "the classic" is a reference to the old fashion Lightroom that we install on our desktop or laptop computer, long before the ("new") Lightroom CC came.

Yes, it is possible to pay yearly, you'll have to ask Adobe customer services to check, and yes, you can cancel when you feel like it. It makes no different what camera you have, Lightroom can show scanned photos or downloaded JPEG images.

Unless the terms of the Adobe subscription has changed recently, whether you pay monthly or annually you are entering an annual contract and if you decide to cancel early then Adobe will expect you pay for the remaining part of the year. Although I have no personal experience of this, I believe they have a sliding scale for people that pay monthly depending on how much of the 12 months is remaining.

Useful thread - looks like I also need LR v5 or v6.

- looks like I also need LR v5 or v6.
Note that you can (if you're canny & determined) find legit used copies of legacy LR versions with perpetual licences, but they won't be upgradable to anything later to keep pace with any future camera changes.

There are alternatives ...

Note that you can (if you're canny & determined) find legit used copies of legacy LR versions with perpetual licences, but they won't be upgradable to anything later to keep pace with any future camera changes.

There are alternatives ...

Thanks - I've tried Serif Affinity Photo (trial) and RAW Therapee. Affinity clearly goes much further, but so many of the tutorials are on LR, that there's a lot of advice and guides.

My cameras are all old, too! ;)

Back