lightroom

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all i have the last version of lightroom that was available to buy on a cd disc. Last week i tried to get updates and signed into my adobe account and down loaded latest updates for lightroom.
now when I open my lightroom it dosn't allow me to edit my images ! Says I have to subscribe to allow this feature. What the hell is going on? I don't want to subscribe i already own lightroom .

If you updated to the latest verions then you will need to reinstall LR6 again if you don't want to subscribe. There are no further updates for LR6 and there haven't been for several years.

FWIW I am on the latest version, having just gone across. It's really not worth it, and I regret changing.

Further to what @ancient_mariner mariner says....

Yes, LR6.14 was the last update of LR6 and that IIRC was something in excess of 6 years ago (might have been about 8 years?)

In regard to using LR6, bear in mind that since it became End of Life its ability to process RAW files of newer cameras also ceased! Though of course you can use Adobe DNG convertor to make them 'compatible'.

Also, if you manage to remove the subscription LR version and re-install the LR6.........it is just possible that Adobe have turned off the registration server for LR6 :thinking:

PS these pages might help

Last edited:
B*****d's!! Money Grabbing B*****d's

Sounds to me like you didn't read the provided information before upgrading.
Pretty sure they didn't force you to download and installed the latest version.

Did you honestly think you were going to get the latest version, years later, for free?

By the way, you do not own Lightroom, You bought a licence to use just that version.

It's really not worth it, and I regret changing.
This is why Adobe's subscription model is a cash grab. What we have now could barely be described as LR7. If you're trying to sell a new thing every year you have to make it worthwhile to upgrade. If you're on a sub model, you just have to sit back and rake in the cash giving the occasional masking tool you find in a cupboard somewhere. I'm wondering how long it'll be before you can subscribe to Nikon or Canon. "£XXX per month and you get a new camera every year blah blah blah". Although after seeing the X100 VI specs, I do wonder if they are scratching around for features for new cameras these days...

Cynical? Me? :)

This is why Adobe's subscription model is a cash grab. What we have now could barely be described as LR7. If you're trying to sell a new thing every year you have to make it worthwhile to upgrade. If you're on a sub model, you just have to sit back and rake in the cash giving the occasional masking tool you find in a cupboard somewhere. I'm wondering how long it'll be before you can subscribe to Nikon or Canon. "£XXX per month and you get a new camera every year blah blah blah". Although after seeing the X100 VI specs, I do wonder if they are scratching around for features for new cameras these days...

I pay £2400/year to have my bins emptied so I don't consider LR poor value for money. £74/year for a hobby I love is peanuts.

I pay £2400/year to have my bins emptied so I don't consider LR poor value for money. £74/year for a hobby I love is peanuts.

agree , even though I did drop Adobe and went with DXO and Affinity £74 for Adobe subscription is actually good value as part of our hobby

Out of interest I had a look at the Adobe LR release page, to see what we have had added over the years.
The list starts with October 2020 (V10.0)
October 2020, V10.0
Colour Grading tool
March 2021, V10.2
No major additions
June 2021, V10.3
Super Resolution (AI resolution increase by 2x in each direction)
October 2021, V11.0
Major revision to masking, subject selection / sky selection, etc.
June 2022, V11.4
Preset intensity adjustment
Mask inversion / Duplicate & Invert mask
Subject / Sky masks in batch edit
October 2022, V12.0
Content Aware Remove
People / Object / Background selection for masking
April 2023, V12.3
AI Denoise
Further masking improvements
June 2023, V12.4
Masking - Add/remove grain
Oct 2023, V13.0
Lens Blur
Edit in HDR
Point Colour

This is just the 'major' changes, there are also performance, memory management and new camera / lens updates in these releases.

How much of an advantage each of these is will, of course, vary from person to person, but they certainly are adding new features and making significant improvements to various areas of the software.
The Sub model gives Adobe a steady income stream, and smooths the cost to users (pre-sub you had to find over £500 if you wanted LR & PS, now you need to find ~£70/year).

Out of interest I had a look at the Adobe LR release page, to see what we have had added over the years.
The list starts with October 2020 (V10.0)
October 2020, V10.0
Colour Grading tool
March 2021, V10.2
No major additions
June 2021, V10.3
Super Resolution (AI resolution increase by 2x in each direction)
October 2021, V11.0
Major revision to masking, subject selection / sky selection, etc.
June 2022, V11.4
Preset intensity adjustment
Mask inversion / Duplicate & Invert mask
Subject / Sky masks in batch edit
October 2022, V12.0
Content Aware Remove
People / Object / Background selection for masking
April 2023, V12.3
AI Denoise
Further masking improvements
June 2023, V12.4
Masking - Add/remove grain
Oct 2023, V13.0
Lens Blur
Edit in HDR
Point Colour

This is just the 'major' changes, there are also performance, memory management and new camera / lens updates in these releases.

How much of an advantage each of these is will, of course, vary from person to person, but they certainly are adding new features and making significant improvements to various areas of the software.
The Sub model gives Adobe a steady income stream, and smooths the cost to users (pre-sub you had to find over £500 if you wanted LR & PS, now you need to find ~£70/year).

Some of those things were in there already but in different forms, for example colour grading used to be the split tone control, but it's been made more powerful but distinctly less easy to use. Content aware removal was also there before, but is now more variable but seems to work less controllably. People/background/sky selection masking tool (and some of the other stuff too) is a desperate attempt to catch up with On1, but doesn't work well (I frequently get 'no sky found' for example) and the denoise is a complete mess. Panorama creation IS improved over LR6, and is now really good.

It's a lot more like On1 Photoraw to use now than it was, and images have much more of that kind of slightly more digital look to them too, but On1 are a long way ahead in AI and masking.

B*****d's!! Money Grabbing B*****d's
I assume that you know nothing about software development and support. It is an expensive business. Do you expect Canon/Nikon/Sony to update your camera every year for free. Adobe just changed the way they charged a few years ago. Previously when you wanted to upgrade to the latest version, you paid a "one off" fee each time. Between PS and LR, I used to pay over £100 p.a to keep my software up to date (or more typically updating every other year). With the current subscription model, I pay £9.98 per month which works out less and all my Adobe S/W is right up to date. There are many excellent enhancement since LR5 so I consider the subscription model excellent value.

Dave

Really? Are there no highways, schools, police services, social care provisions where you live?

Really? Are there no highways, schools, police services, social care provisions where you live?
Well, I suppose refuse collections are one regular sign of the council tax in action!

Reactions: TG.
Highways? No
Roads? I suppose one could could call them that at a push. Remembering that our household had just fitted our forth coil spring this year.
Police? No
Social Care? Don’t know, I don’t use them.

Last edited:
Funny how we will go into a pub, and pay nearly £7 for a pint, but complain about £9 a month for an excellent software package. Subscription aside, most photography software updates once a year OnOne does anyway, and that's around £70 which is pretty much your Adobe yearly subscription. I have Affinity V1 and last years OnOne, but I rarely use them, mainly because I'm old, lol, and can't be bothered with another learning curve, so going forward I won't update any other software, and will stick with Adobe, which I think is very good value for money, and with the black friday deals, I'm now paid up till 2026, so happy days, as they say.

Highways? No
Roads? I suppose one could could call them that at a push.
Police? No
Social Care? Don’t know, I don’t use them.
“I don’t use them”. So what?

Funny how we will go into a pub, and pay nearly £7 for a pint, but complain about £9 a month for an excellent software package. Subscription aside, most photography software updates once a year OnOne does anyway, and that's around £70 which is pretty much your Adobe yearly subscription. I have Affinity V1 and last years OnOne, but I rarely use them, mainly because I'm old, lol, and can't be bothered with another learning curve, so going forward I won't update any other software, and will stick with Adobe, which I think is very good value for money, and with the black friday deals, I'm now paid up till 2026, so happy days, as they say.
The major problem with Adobe and its odd subscription system is that what you are referring to is a particular package, for photographers. If you want page makeup, or other uses, its over £70 a month, which is ridiculous.

It doesn’t even need to be £9/month.

Like you, I buy a year sub every year on Black Friday or Amazon prime deals for £74. That £6.16/month. You’ve got to be a real tight arse to think that’s not good value for money.

Ive never considered lightroom untill now. Ive just looked at the price plans which appear confusing. Am I right in thinking that you can get photoshop and lightroom for £9.98/month.
Secondly the subscription includes cloud storage however I like to save my images to a couple of local HDDs I assume that I could still do this and not use the cloud, please correct me if Im wrong.

Ive never considered lightroom untill now. Ive just looked at the price plans which appear confusing. Am I right in thinking that you can get photoshop and lightroom for £9.98/month.
Secondly the subscription includes cloud storage however I like to save my images to a couple of local HDDs I assume that I could still do this and not use the cloud, please correct me if Im wrong.
Correct , £9.98/m for PS and LR with limited cloud storage ( 20GB from memory but you can buy more), which I never use preferring local storage on HDD

Correct , £9.98/m for PS and LR with limited cloud storage ( 20GB from memory but you can buy more), which I never use preferring local storage on HDD
Thank you may consider giving it a try I see there is a 30 day free trial available too

You've got to remember Adobe isn't a charity. Like every business, it needs to make money to survive. If it didn't survive thousands of people would be unemployed. Until they got fresh jobs with other "money grabbing b******s". Of course, you could always join the Communist party.;)

• Haha
Don’t forget the shareholders, they need the subscription to work… and they are more important than the ‘thousands of people’ or the customers.

Don’t forget the shareholders, they need the subscription to work… and they are more important than the ‘thousands of people’ or the customers.
In which case, ask your pension provider, who is possibly a shareholder of Adobe, to please withdraw their money. It’s a capitalist world, and it’s your choice which products to use. Good luck in finding one which doesn’t need finance.

I think I got LR3 for free many years ago. And then when I switched to Sony in 2014/15 I think I paid about £90 to upgrade to LR5 which I used up until 2022 iirc

There isn't a subscription that's much cheaper than that cost spread over 10 years or more :ROFLMAO:

I think I got LR3 for free many years ago. And then when I switched to Sony in 2014/15 I think I paid about £90 to upgrade to LR5 which I used up until 2022 iirc

There isn't a subscription that's much cheaper than that cost spread over 10 years or more :ROFLMAO:
I certainly got the first couple of versions free when Adobe bought the makers of Rawshooter Pro and put quite a bit of development money into it.

In which case, ask your pension provider, who is possibly a shareholder of Adobe, to please withdraw their money. It’s a capitalist world, and it’s your choice which products to use. Good luck in finding one which doesn’t need finance.
Financing a company to finance for it to be successful is different to financing it to provide shareholder value. Somewhere along the way that's been lost.

The major problem with Adobe and its odd subscription system is that what you are referring to is a particular package, for photographers. If you want page makeup, or other uses, its over £70 a month, which is ridiculous.
£56, which again is great value for the 20 apps you get.

Last edited:

There are two versions of LR, if you want to save your files locally then go for LR Classic and PS.

Financing a company to finance for it to be successful is different to financing it to provide shareholder value. Somewhere along the way that's been lost.
Take a look at Darktable that's free

Please excuse me for being a complete numpty but I dont get the adobe priceing system. Looking down the inderviduals tab
Lightroom and photoshop costs £9.98/month but photoshop is £21.98/month is there something I am missing.
Ecoleman does that mean I cant save locally if I dont get lightroom classic ???

LR comes in two versions - 'LR' and 'LR Classic'
Most of the discussion has been referring to LR Classic (which many people just call LR), where you primarily save images to some local storage (this can be a HD, removable HD, NAS unit, etc) but can also sync up to 20Gb of images to the Adobe Cloud, where they will be available to the mobile version of LR on your phone or tablet (and likewise you can load an image onto your phone or tablet, and sync that back to your PC using this 20Gb). There is also a more expensive LR Classic plan with 1Tb of cloud.

The 'LR' version that is not Classic is the desktop version of the Phone / Tablet mobile LR app this comes in a Plan with 1Tb of cloud storage (but does not include LR Classic) - it can ONLY save to the cloud.

All plans are yearly, but paid monthly (IE You commit to 12 months at a time).

The Cheapest way to get any of these plans is to buy them via Amazon, which sells them as a 12 month bundle - most of the time it's no cheaper, but 2-3 times a year on average Amazon will discount it - oftem down to ~£80 for the 12 months. Puchasing gets a code, which you enter into your account page on Adobe, and it gives 12 monthe credit. You can buy an additonal bundle to get futher credit, which then adds on, so you never need pay full price.
Do take care to get the right bundle if you go this route - pick the wrong one and you'll end up with 2 parallel subscriptions, instead of adding credit to your existing one.

Please excuse me for being a complete numpty but I dont get the adobe priceing system. Looking down the inderviduals tab
Lightroom and photoshop costs £9.98/month but photoshop is £21.98/month is there something I am missing.
Ecoleman does that mean I cant save locally if I dont get lightroom classic ???

I believe you can now save images locally in the cloud based LR, but it’s really geared towards cloud storage. For local storage of your catalogs and images you really are better off with Classic.

Don’t worry about PS monthly cost, PS is included with the Classic photography plan.

You can buy a year up front here.

It’s also on offer a couple of times a year with Amazon prime day deals and Black Friday where it’s discounted to £75-£80 for the year

LR comes in two versions - 'LR' and 'LR Classic'
Most of the discussion has been referring to LR Classic (which many people just call LR), where you primarily save images to some local storage (this can be a HD, removable HD, NAS unit, etc) but can also sync up to 20Gb of images to the Adobe Cloud, where they will be available to the mobile version of LR on your phone or tablet (and likewise you can load an image onto your phone or tablet, and sync that back to your PC using this 20Gb). There is also a more expensive LR Classic plan with 1Tb of cloud.

The 'LR' version that is not Classic is the desktop version of the Phone / Tablet mobile LR app this comes in a Plan with 1Tb of cloud storage (but does not include LR Classic) - it can ONLY save to the cloud.

All plans are yearly, but paid monthly (IE You commit to 12 months at a time).

The Cheapest way to get any of these plans is to buy them via Amazon, which sells them as a 12 month bundle - most of the time it's no cheaper, but 2-3 times a year on average Amazon will discount it - oftem down to ~£80 for the 12 months. Puchasing gets a code, which you enter into your account page on Adobe, and it gives 12 monthe credit. You can buy an additonal bundle to get futher credit, which then adds on, so you never need pay full price.
Do take care to get the right bundle if you go this route - pick the wrong one and you'll end up with 2 parallel subscriptions, instead of adding credit to your existing one.
Thanks Faldrax
So I will need the 20Gb version to save locally.
I still dont get why photoshop alone cost twice as much.

I believe you can now save images locally in the cloud based LR, but it’s really geared towards cloud storage. For local storage of your catalogs and images you really are better off with Classic.

Don’t worry about PS monthly cost, PS is included with the Classic photography plan.

You can buy a year up front here.

It’s also on offer a couple of times a year with Amazon prime day deals and Black Friday where it’s discounted to £75-£80 for the year
Thank you
So looks like I need a package with LR classic to be sure

Back