lightsphere + high ceilings in church = ???

• Thread starter englandshottest2
  • Start date
E

englandshottest2

hello all... i've yet to use my lightsphere (lambency/fong thingy) at a wedding, but this Saturday I plan to... after having been reading up on how it's used, etc. I still am a bit stuck...
for the shots taken in a church with high ceilings, how exactly is it to be used? I mean i've heard methods togs use ranging from taking the inverted dome top off and pointing the flashgun straight up at the ceiling, whilst some leave the dome on, and then others point the flashgun straight at the subject with the dome on. :thinking: So any ideas?
I should mention I have the clear version (and not the frosted/opaque one) with an opaque dome top, which is for my 580EXII. Since I haven't any high ceilings in my house, I find myself without practice space!
Also heard that it's not great for using when upclose to the subject (like within 5 or 6 feet)....so say for instance getting a shot of the b&g signing the registry documents, and distance away from them is 6feet...again, would it be wise to point the gun straight at them, or up at the ceiling?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)!

Thanks

Will you have an assistant with you?

The reason I ask is because the method I use when there isn't anywhere suitable for bouncing flash (high ceilings, dark walls, etc) is to use a large reflector. Swivel the flash head so it's pointing backwards and have your assistant stand behind you, slightly to one side and hold the reflector up. Instant white wall for bounce flash whenever and wherever you need it. I've found the results are better than the using a diffuser on the flash too. Of course it does rely on the assistant paying attention to the angles but you can also vary the direction of the light as much as you want too.

Will you have an assistant with you?

The reason I ask is because the method I use when there isn't anywhere suitable for bouncing flash (high ceilings, dark walls, etc) is to use a large reflector. Swivel the flash head so it's pointing backwards and have your assistant stand behind you, slightly to one side and hold the reflector up. Instant white wall for bounce flash whenever and wherever you need it. I've found the results are better than the using a diffuser on the flash too. Of course it does rely on the assistant paying attention to the angles but you can also vary the direction of the light as much as you want too.

Great idea above, although if you have never tried it, you may not want to experiment for the first time at a wedding....unless you are just a guest and you are helping the bride/groom out. If they are paying you, I would try something you know first, and then maybe add in a few shots with the reflector / bounce method. Also, is the ceremony 10 minutes, or 90 minutes? If more than 30 minutes long, you can probably learn it in that time. Your call.

As for the lightsphere, take the dome off and shoot it straight up. My suggestion is to shoot more wide angle (zoom will show more camera blur) at 1/30 f2.8 - ISO1000. Make sure your f stop is at its lowest and crank up the ISO for your exposure. If you cant handle the camera still at 1/30 bump that up a little. Possibly use a monopod to help out on that.

You will be shocked how well the lightsphere can light up a LARGE room. The flash will be working hard, but you will get a nice fill light in return. If you decide to shoot with dome top on, you wont get enough output from the flash and unless you have well lit church, you wont get the exposure fill you want.

Good luck!

The recommended method for for shooting with the Lightsphere with very high ceilings is pointing straight up and dome removed.

okay all, thanks. so what exactly is the white dome top for?

If you find yourself in a situation where the ceiling is not providing enough light (too high, shaped funny, too dark etc) you can try a little trick I use with my Fong bong.

You can stuff a standard size index card INSIDE the bowl of the Lumisphere and the cap fits back on just fine. This allows you to direct more light in a direction of your choosing (or to soften the light if needed, in a particular direction). The bonus here is that you can change the direction of the light just by moving the index card around inside the bowl.

I took some pictures in a room with high, black ceiling that was covered in conduit, ducting and plumbing pipes. Not a decent surface to bounce a flash. I wanted more light on the subject but pointing the flash directly, even with the dome diffuser, was too much. The index card in the bowl allowed me to better control how much light was hitting the subject and how it was hitting. It is not as good as having a set of reflectors or additional lights, but it can be just the thing for those times you are alone and need something NOW.

okay all, thanks. so what exactly is the white dome top for?

The dome helps to trap some of the light and evenly distribute it about the interior of the bowl and through the walls of the diffuser. It also softens the light coming out of the end of the bowl.

Well, you can leave the white dome top on and point it up when ceilings are normal height - it bounces a good amount of light off that big ceiling reflector, but still throws a great amount of fill light out sideways in all directions for fill.

Ouit of doors just point the dome straight at your subject for great fill flash. You really need to do some practising with it in a large room - it will give you loads of confidence in it's abilities to do the job. Best on -camera flash diffuser I've ever used, not as good as a miulti light setup obviously, but very, very good.

Well, you can leave the white dome top on and point it up when ceilings are normal height - it bounces a good amount of light off that big ceiling reflector, but still throws a great amount of fill light out sideways in all directions for fill.

Ouit of doors just point the dome straight at your subject for great fill flash. You really need to do some practising with it in a large room - it will give you loads of confidence in it's abilities to do the job. Best on -camera flash diffuser I've ever used, not as good as a miulti light setup obviously, but very, very good.

Agreed 100%.

Shoot in manual, get the right exposure, and roll with it.

A seperate battery pack (I use the quantum turbo) will be helpful as well. That flash is going to be working hard, so it will need some extra juice if you are taking a few quick shots at a time.

Back