Lightweight backdrop set up

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to put together a lightweight backdrop that I can take "portable". I'd rather not use a roll of paper, but the fabric ones seem to crease and show in the image.

I'm thinking of using a fabric supported by elastic at points along the vertical edge to keep it taught. Has anybody seen anything like this before?

I bought a green screen setup for a job and the actual backdrop is cloth (cotton I think), using wide spring clips I can clamp the fabric around the side poles (without gripping the poles) so can tension the cloth.

I bought 2 of the larger pop-ups lastolite think they are 7ft x 5.. a black & white and blue multicoloured & tan multicoloured.. Love them..

To be fair, I sort of inherited the Lastolite, so it wasn't my choice. I did wonder about lighting it with gels to see what effect that gave.

Hiya.

Would this be for full length photos ?

Gaz

Pop ups are great.
So many options available, not just plain colours etc.
Fences, walls and other effects available.

Depends what you mean by lightweight and how much (of the person) you want to shoot. I've looked at pop ups and couldn't find one that folded small enough and was light enough to carry with the rest of my kit.

For corp headshots I went with a grey projector screen. You could also look at L banners - you can get one printed however you want for 90 quid so they should be happy to do mid grey :)

I use the Interfit EZ Drop backdrop which is relatively cheap and light/small bag. Large white cloth (no floor option though), but once up there is surprisingly very little creasing in the backdrop - - and if you can get your model enough distance away to blur it enough or overlight it for a studio white background to images. Distance will also let you light it to grey if you want darker btw.

Back