Lightweight backpacks...?

Edit My Images
No
Just wondering what lightweight backpacks there are out there, and if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.
Specifically in relation to aircraft carry-on weight limits. Usually in-cabin baggage is restricted to dimensions - which most backpacks sail under without much trouble (in fact are specifically designed to fit under comfortably) - unfortunately I've encountered companies restricting carry-on bags by imposing weight limitations (knowing full well there's bugger all you can do once you get to the airport desk). Thankfully a large coat with many pockets came to the rescue(!) but this is hardly a solution.
It's no secret that photographic gear does add up in terms of weight, particularly if you have the 2.8 variants of lenses, filters etc. and with new restrictions coming in it does pose a potential problem when travelling - again the airlines know this but really couldn't give a monkeys. I also weighed my bag which is impressively heavy when completely empty :bang: (Lowepro vertex 200, which I highly recommend in any other situation, it carries loads, well made etc.)
So, for starters, I'm now on the look-out for a lightweight backpack (backpack is preferable due to what I envisage doing rather than a shoulder bag)

Was in the same boat, but after some research bought a thinktank accelerator v2, it weighs about 1.5kg and can carry up to a 500mm lens + camera. The bag comes with a computer pouch and padded computer bag which pushes the depth dimensions over the budget airline sizes of 20 cm, but about the limit of 25 cm for the main airlines. If you don't use the computer pocket it meets all the carry on restrictions and only thing you have to worry about is the weight of your equipment meeting what luggage weight restrictions they apply. Example BA no weight other than you being able to place the item in the overhead locker yourself, just size restrictions where as Virgin is 6kg and size restrictions.

Last edited:
Filters and other non-shock sensitive stuff goes into the hold baggage to reduce the carry on weight. My DSLR kit still weighs in at over 8kg so the fleece pockets come into play for the weigh in!

I often wonder how often the airport scales are checked for accuracy. I'm sure they read heavier than actual weight (based on checking the bag's weight on a balance scale and comparing that to the airport's weighing).

I often wonder how often the airport scales are checked for accuracy. I'm sure they read heavier than actual weight (based on checking the bag's weight on a balance scale and comparing that to the airport's weighing).

You're right on that! they're never correct. you can put your bag on two scales next to each other at check in and they'll be out by miles!

luckily when traveling (since I've owned a camera), sleazyJet have been fine with weight so my lowepro is fine.

Out of interest, who are you flying with that does imply a weight restiction on hand luggage?

I've a Lowepro MiniTrekker and it's fairly light without anything in - might be worth a look for 2nd hand ?

A quick review http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Gear/...cessories/Lowepro-Mini-Trekker-AW-camera-bag/

Weight (review says) 1.16kg

So 1,100g more than mine? :)

Seriously, it's the padding in bags that weighs so much. A nylon rucksack with thin shoulder straps weighs practically nothing. Put your camera in it carefully with a little bubble wrap and keep it in your hands at all times and you can gain an extra kilo. On some flights that's 20%.

One of the reasons I try and avoid budget airlines, the stupid rules regarding hand luggage.

I've only ever had my hand bags even looked at once, that was flying Monarch (I had to, my girlfriend's employer had already booked her flight) to Cyprus, they had a glance at my bag, didn't weigh it, just made sure it wasn't enormous, then gave me a checked ticket for it.

You're right on that! they're never correct. you can put your bag on two scales next to each other at check in and they'll be out by miles!

luckily when traveling (since I've owned a camera), sleazyJet have been fine with weight so my lowepro is fine.

Out of interest, who are you flying with that does imply a weight restiction on hand luggage?

Since the airport scales are used for selling a commodity by weight, they are (in theory) subject to weights and measures legislation. Best bet is to check your luggage's weight on accurately calibrated scales (maybe at a Post Office for a camera rucksack?) and if the airpot scales disagree significantly, ask that the bag be reweighed on another scale. If that one also tells a different story to the known accurate weight, make a note of the desk number(s) and report them on your return. Don't make a big fuss there and then - you might get lobbed out...

I've had my hand baggage weighed by Thomas Cook, First Choice and FlyBe and seen all the desks in use at Bristol checking hand baggage weights. The girls on the desk have so far been happy for me to take kit out and pocket it for the weighing and I then replace it once round the corner! On return flights from Heraklion (Crete), it's only been the last 5 years or so that the scales have been switched on for hold baggage and hand baggage is ignored!

Taking significantly lighter kit this year and also paid a little extra (£16) for an extra 5kg of hold baggage between us - way cheaper than being just 1kg overweight and paying Swissair(?)'s extra charg...

Back