Lightweight but good travel tripod

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for some recommendations for a decent, light and compact tripod that will take a D810 + 70-200 F2.8, that will ideally fit INSIDE my rucksack (F-Stop Ajna - though will carry on the straps at a push) and that is robust enough that I can take mountain biking (not serious mountain biking with my camera gear - just enables me to quickly get to places that would otherwise take ages to get to).

I've got a carbon fibre Manfrotto 190 with a joystick head, which is too bulky for cycling and I reckon I'd impale myself on the head if I fell off. If the recommendation can replace that, I won't be complaining! :D but if it is in addition, that's fine too, but I do currently use Peak Design compatible RC2 plates

I'm looking for some recommendations for a decent, light and compact tripod that will take a D810 + 70-200 F2.8, that will ideally fit INSIDE my rucksack (F-Stop Ajna - though will carry on the straps at a push) and that is robust enough that I can take mountain biking (not serious mountain biking with my camera gear - just enables me to quickly get to places that would otherwise take ages to get to).

I've got a carbon fibre Manfrotto 190 with a joystick head, which is too bulky for cycling and I reckon I'd impale myself on the head if I fell off. If the recommendation can replace that, I won't be complaining! :D but if it is in addition, that's fine too, but I do currently use Peak Design compatible RC2 plates

Have you taken a look to see if the peak designs tripod works for you?
I recently got it and it's pretty stable for my Sony a7r4 and 200-600 and folds up very compact!

Have you taken a look to see if the peak designs tripod works for you?
I recently got it and it's pretty stable for my Sony a7r4 and 200-600 and folds up very compact!

I'm conscious it exists, though I'm also very conscious of the price! :LOL: It it genuinely that good? and what's the aluminium one like over the carbon one?

One of the smaller Gitzo Travelers would probably fit inside that bag (closed length of the current Series 1 GT1545T is 42.5 cm; Series 0 GT0545T is 36.5 cm) and they fold back on themselves so a slim head like Gitzo's own will fit between the legs. But they cost more than the Peak Design...

Last edited:
I'm conscious it exists, though I'm also very conscious of the price! :LOL: It it genuinely that good? and what's the aluminium one like over the carbon one?

I couldn't bring myself to buy the carbon one, it made my wallet cry buying the aluminium one. I like it as it really does compact well but then I'm not a heavy tripod user so fit my needs quite well as being something light, portable, quick and easy to use.

Huh, it's interesting - I remember seeing reviews of the PD tripod saying it was excellent, innovative but expensive. Now I'm seeing so many similar tripods at a far higher price!

I own the gitzo traveller and it's solid for a travel tripod. Packs small, folds in on itself and the head is excellent. I own other cheaper travel tripods and they aren't as solid as this.

I looked at the peak carbon but I don't think it rotates for panos from what I saw. I may be wrong (I'd like to know) but the entire head comes loose when undone rather than allow for a left/right pan. It may just be the rubbish reviews I've watched but it stopped me from buying it.

Huh, it's interesting - I remember seeing reviews of the PD tripod saying it was excellent, innovative but expensive. Now I'm seeing so many similar tripods at a far higher price!

Most of the other tripods are established makers, and they came first. like Gitzo and Gitzo has always been expensive.

I own the gitzo traveller and it's solid for a travel tripod. Packs small, folds in on itself and the head is excellent. I own other cheaper travel tripods and they aren't as solid as this.

I looked at the peak carbon but I don't think it rotates for panos from what I saw. I may be wrong (I'd like to know) but the entire head comes loose when undone rather than allow for a left/right pan. It may just be the rubbish reviews I've watched but it stopped me from buying it.

That's correct, you can get a different attachment to allow your own head to be used, or use an Arca Swiss pano attachment.

I have a 3LT Punks Brian that I got and it fits inside my bag. I got this for travel. It always feels spindly when I open it (but my other tripod is a Gitzo 5 series so most tripods feel spindly against that) but holds weight perfectly incl D850 and 70-200. I tend not to lift the centre column but it's still just short of 1.4m without the centre column which is decent. Very happy with it and happy to do Long Exposures on it

A few years ago I wanted something lighter for hiking up hills or where I would be walking quite a distance. After looking at various options (bento, 3LT, gitzo to name a few) at the photography show I ended up getting a gitzo traveller. I got the 100 year traveller version when they were selling off surplus stock. It’s based on the GK1545T-82TQD. I’d have liked to have to the larger series two with the 82QD head as it was sturdier and can use the stake feet, but it’s heavier and I really wanted something light. Since getting the traveller I haven’t picked up my other tripod (gitzo 3 series systematic). I have thought of selling my other tripod but I find it to be sturdy and great for those times I’m not walking far. I haven’t seen the peak design tripods in the flesh. I’d like to see one but I’m very happy with the Gitzo traveller so wouldn’t think of buying one. The carbon version of the PD and Gitzo traveler are similar price but the gitzo traveller is the tried and test option and less of a risk from the not knowing point of view. I’d expect it to fit in the side pocket of the ajna but I don’t have that bag to say it does (it fits in the Sukha but not the lotus).

Last edited:
I have one of these Rollei City Traveller Mini Carbon, unwanted present still in the box.

Let me know if interested and I'll pop it on the Classifieds

It's this one

Last edited:
Curious to know how your 'test drive' is going with this @James Blonde
Ive been trying to decide between the Gitzo and the PD for a few weeks now - as a 'decent' but light weight tripod.
My brain says Gitzo for the reputation.... but the PD does tick so many boxes and a few more
My small concern with PD is that they are on version 4 of the anchor clips - so its taken them 4 goes to get it right, to put 1 small plastic button is a small plastic hole, so what are the chances of them getting a whole tripod right first time :)
despite saying that - its still very tempting - so real world reviews would be good to hear!

I think it's fair to say I won't be sending it back - I love it!

It's a lot more robust and solid than I was expecting. It's compact, quick to use and I really like the head - it's really smooth and I've tried it with the 70-200 in portrait - it didn't move or droop. It easily fits in my bag so fits the brief I had of being able to take it mountain biking without it being strapped to the outside. In fact it not needing to be strapped to the outside stops my camera bag standing out.

I'm genuinely thinking it can replace my carbon fibre manfrotto 190, which to be fair was made heavy and bulky due to the joystick head (which is brilliant and so easy to use but I hate going into shops or crowded places carrying that on my bad - it just sticks out and hits things!). The head on the PD is as easy to use and more secure than the Manfrotto, and a fraction of the size and weight.

I get your comment about the anchor buttons, but another way of looking at it is they don't stop innovating and improving existing products - even the buttons, and as I understand it, they have a lifetime guarantee....

Downsides at the moment? No ability to easily pan? But that's no different to my existing head really and not something I use. Though you could shove your own head on it with the adapter plate if you wanted.

Back