Lightweight long lens setup?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for some advice on a lightweight setup with a long lens (400-600mm equivalent).

My life takes me to lots of fantastic places for wildlife photography and I currently have a Canon 6dii with the 24-105 f4 L, and an 80d with a sigma C 150-600. I don't have any complaints with the gear apart from weight, which is becoming a real problem as I'm having to walk increasing distances carrying everything.

So, I'm looking to switch things up. I'm still going to need two bodies with lenses covering a similar range, I don't want to sacrifice image quality too much (including the ability to crop when even the 600mm isn't enough) and I have to be able to shoot BIF at least as well as the 80d/sigma can manage. I know I can find a good mirrorless with the shorter range, it's how to get to the 600mm that's proving a challenge!

Any suggestions?

Well you could and maybe should take a look at m4/3. A few good options there for reach that don't weigh horrendous amounts. There's the Olympus 300mm f/4 (equivalent of around 600mm without using a TC) and the Panasonic 100-400 (less than 1kg). Both are very good and with the Olympus E-M1 ii and Panasonic G9, you have a couple of body options there that offer very good auto-focus too.

Another slightly more radical suggestion would be to build a system around the new(ish) Nikon 500mm f/5.6 prime. Paired to a DX body, you'd save about 500g on your current set up. Not night and day different but might be of interest as you'd probably gain a bit in image quality (vs the 80d+sigma) rather than lose it and still be a bit lighter.

Last edited:
I’ve recently been using the EM1-II and Panasonic 100-400mm (200-800mm eq) and I think the images are probably a touch better than the D850 with Tamron 150-600mm, which has surprised me A LOT. Big difference in weight too, 1.5kg vs 3kg.

Thanks for those suggestions, the panasonic 100-400 looks like it would fit the bill amazingly well - I don't know why that wasn't on my radar. I should have said that I much prefer a zoom instead of a prime - I shoot a lot from boats so I have no control over how close I can get and zoom is much easier than a prime in that regard.

I was also looking at the Sony A7 series, but am I right in thinking there just aren't long lenses for that yet?

Thanks for those suggestions, the panasonic 100-400 looks like it would fit the bill amazingly well - I don't know why that wasn't on my radar. I should have said that I much prefer a zoom instead of a prime - I shoot a lot from boats so I have no control over how close I can get and zoom is much easier than a prime in that regard.

I was also looking at the Sony A7 series, but am I right in thinking there just aren't long lenses for that yet?

There is the Sony 100-400 which is well regarded but not cheap. Mft might well be the cheapest option.

Have you tried a Canon 400 F5.6 L on your 80D? You mention BIF, the 400 F5.6 will blow the socks off the Sigma for AF. It is also smaller, lighter and a little sharper. True it is not as long but longer lenses do not necessarily give longer range. Much depends on your subjects but for small birds (Blue Tit size) I rarely use my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS beyond 8 to 10 meters and closer whenever possible. Naturally for larger species this increases quite a bit but only when the air is nice and clear.

For what it is worth my favourite "portable" birding lenses are the 300 F2.8 L IS, 100-400 Mk2 and the 400 F5.6 L (I own the first two).

Just my 2p.

I have m43 and the PL100-400 and think it's a fab combo.

An alternative would be Nikon kit with the PF telephoto primes, there is the 300 PF + TC and I think there is a new 500mm PF lens which is only something like 1.5kg. Might need a new mortgage though.

Back