Lightweight tripod recommendations

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I'm to purchase a carbon fibre tripod to carry around with me (take abroad etc). My budget is around £350 pounds. I use a canon 5D ii with a variety of lenses . My main use for tripod is I like taking long exposure night shots also I hate using a flash for low light shots so also need a tripod for this . Been a keen amateur photographer since my teens now well into 40's and still haven't mastered the knack of using flash. Anyway . Mainly take scenery photos, have some powerful zooms but don't really take them out with me , my main carry kit are 12-24 sigma. 80mm sigma f1.4 and 28-135 canon.
Was considering manfrotto 055cxpro4 (or 3) with manfrotto 055 series ball head. Does this or any other combination of carbon tripod and head meet with anyone's recommendation. Please let me know as I'm going to SRS I'm Watford tomorrow to part with my hard earnt money . Thanks Jim

Can recommend a manfrotto 55 cxpro4 have been using one for a couple of years with no issue. Its solid, have used with lens upto 70-200 2.8 without issue and small enough to drop into a suitcase for traveling. Can't comment on the head, I use a Manfrotto 410, I like the ability to set each axis independently.

I have just ordered a Three Legged Thing Brian with an Airhed 1 - and not just because it shares my name! Should be delivered tomorrow. Similar height to the Manfrotto but folds down to 42cm. Several reviews on YouTube if you want to see one in action.

Hi Jim, I have the Manfrotto 55 carbon 3 and I don't think you will be disappointed. I deliberated for a long time but think I made the right choice, it's very stable and it's good at absorbing shock and vibration, (it settles quicker if you knock it) better than my Ali tripod. The flip locking levers I love because there quick to operate (IMHO better than twist locks). There's no hook on the bottom of the upright column but there is on the head between the leg hinges.

I have a Vanguard SBH 250 head on mine but it's not the lightest. Take a look at the heads when your up there an go with your gut feeling, have a play with the head before you, buy but you shouldn't have any trouble with that head supporting your kit. Just watch you don't loose the plastic nut tightening spanner that's sposed to clip on the legs, secure it with some strong fine cord or put it in your bag. Don't forget to get another quick release plate for your head if you have another camera or if you have a mount on your long lenses (Vanguard comes with 2).

I'm a few years ahead of you an still learning to use a flash so don't worry Jim!!:)

I have a Manfrotto 055CX3PRO with a Manfrotto 410 geared head and they are a great pairing. I have just fitted the Manfrotto spiked feet (£30 from WEX) as that was the only thing missing imho.

As Steve above mentions, the Redged tripods look very good too but I am more than happy (for now) with my combination.

Andy

Hi Andy what's the spiked feet like? I wish they would fit them std, do they adjust out so you can go from spike to rubber foot?

Bonni,

Sorry for the late reply, I completely missed this one.

The spiked feet are excellent. Simply remove the standard foot and pop the spiked on and tighten up with the supplied screwdriver.
To use the spike you just unscrew the new rubber foot until the spike appears. Having only used the spikes once so far all I can say IOS they are fine and work as intended.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Back