Lina Bessenova did the X-ray/CT airport scanner experiments with film you've always wanted...

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
This is an excellent post by Lina Bessenova: https://www.linabessonova.photography/videos#/airport-scanners/

At the end she writes "Feel free to share the entire post / parts of it on any social media, as long as there is a link to this website/my instagram (this applies to anything else you find on this website or on my instagram, whether it's related to the scanning topic or not)."

Heads up, the above link is being flagged by Norton as a dangerous site,
Its been tested against other antivirus programs and is not being flagged.
The server hamster came up with this, its a link to sucuri website scanning.

Make your own minds up whether or not to click the link.

Last edited:
Eeeek!

Heads up, the above link is being flagged by Norton as a dangerous site,
Its been tested against other antivirus programs and is not being flagged.
The server hamster came up with this, its a link to sucuri website scanning.

Make your own minds up whether or not to click the link.
For those concerned about it, she's also released the video on youtube on her channel

I haven't looked at her video, just read the text and looked at the images... don't think that makes me any safer, but BitDefender doesn't seem to think I'm in trouble!

Nevertheless, it was really interesting. As expected, she's saying/showing that old-fashioned XRay scanners are pretty OK. High ISO films seemed to degrade really quickly with the CT scanners. There seemed t be little evidence of the "wavy line" defect, just generally loss of detail and some colour changes with multiple trips through. I'd have to read it again to do a better precis.

I'm going to be honest, I've seen larger swings in image quality between my development and scanning sessions. In some of the examples, I couldnt see anything really wrong with the images.

The shielding test did not make much sense to me, the X-rays still went through the film, and seeing a dark box in someones bag would just make them image it for a longer exposure. Maybe I'm missing something about this test.

Short of a bright wavy artefact in the images, I don't think many of us will definitively be able to say it was the X-Rays that caused that slight increase in grain or dubious exposure, and not ourselves...

This X-Ray thing has been going on for umpteen years and I can't recall seeing any evidence presented, which shows that it's a problem.

However, I won't go so far as to claim you've more chance of seeing a Yeti standing on Hyde Park Corner, than fogging on film, after going through airport security... :whistle:

I dread to think how much all that film and chemicals cost plus all the flights.

Today I noticed that this subject is tackled briefly in Ilford's FAQs at https://www.ilfordphoto.com/faqs/.

"We are working with the DFT and Heathrow airport in the UK and will shortly be updating our information relating to the new CT type x-ray scanners being installed at major airports worldwide.

"Based on our initial testing it is almost certain the new CT type x-ray scanners for cabin baggage will be deemed unsafe for any of our ILFORD and KENTMERE film products irrespective of ISO speed rating.

"You must therefore ask for hand inspection of your films if the airport is using one of the new type scanners. We will be issuing more specific advice as we complete our testing and evaluation."

A bit more there about the machines...

Bit of an update, I went to Lanzarote in December and my carry on was x rayed three times. Just got the negs back and they do have some x ray fogging on one roll of XP2. Images are still usable however (in fact I'm getting a few likes in "Show us your film shots".
I did not see damage to Vision 3 50D, Portra 160 or Harman Phonex 200, but in the last case how would you know!
So maybe it's time I swallowed my pride and hot a Sima X ray bag. I do so hate to be wrong!

Back