Linear Polariser on Digital FF camera

Name
Rich
Hi guys

I am a Nikon D800 user currently and picked up 4 glass 4x4 slot in filters plus a decent filter pouch for a bit of a bargain, so thought I would have a go with the Linear polariser which is a Tiffen Ultra linear (retails about $200).

So far I can say that I haven't seen any negative effect with exposure or autofocus issues as was warned prior to using it and it seems to perform really well!!!.

Just wanted to ask if anyone else has any experience of using a linear polarising filter on a DSLR or if there Is potentially any other effects it might give that I am unaware of?.

Last edited:
As its a square filter, you will not be able to rotate it independently of any ND Grads you may use, unless the holder allows that.
Have you tried it set at different angles to see if that affects your auto focus.

Hi Pete

Yes. Totally understand stand about the nd grad issue. To be honest, that hasn't caused a problem yet as it seems to hold a good level of polarization within 10-15 degrees of rotation either way. I know it may be more of an issue in the future as I come across a diagonal horizon though.

I have had it at all it's rotational angles and zero effect with auto focus. I have read of a few people using them on digital but most topics when search say that they WILL effect AF or exposure!!!!.

I will put it up against my screw in circ polariser next time I'm out and see whether there is any discernible difference in image between them

Last edited:
I think it's more a case of MAY rather than WILL, depending on the exact geometry and materials of your specific camera. Circular is safer than buying a linear filter and having to take it back to the shop.

For sure Rob. I would have never entertained It unless I knew it was a bargain and I could easily get my money back if if it didn't work. Whether I just got lucky or whether it's just a top quality filter who knows. It works so far so I'm happy :)

As you've discovered, it's COULD not WILL! I did have metering discrepancies with an F65 and a linear pol so have bought circulars since then but have used an old circular one (the one that gave the problem and on the same lens, my 50mm) on DSLRs with no problems. Since pols are the only filters I regularly use, I have them for each lens in my bag so I can still use the hoods (can be a bit fiddly reaching in to adjust the angle but it's not a major problem.)

i just listed a B&W linear polariser on ebay for this reason yet somewhere in my foggy old memory i *know* i've used it on my EOS bodies, so if it doesn't sell it's going back in the bag.

Back