Lines in image (Sony A6500)

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I thought I would have a little play with some old lenses. Found a nice cheap 135mm one, bought an adapter. Done some clicks indoors last night.
Never seen these before. What causes these thick lines? The first 3 indoors at night with normal house lights on. Last 3 outside this morning.
All jpep and untouched.

Clicking on the link below will open up postimage with my photos.

As the man says in the video, switching off any 'silent' electronic shutter, or Electronic First Curtain Shutter and using mechanical shutter should help clear it up in a lot of cases. Bringing your own light such as flash will assist.

Using a slower shutter speed may also help, if your subjects are moving, that may be a less viable option.

It's an effect caused by artificial lighting (principally fluorescent and LEDs) turning off an on at a frequency that creates an interference pattern at certain shutter speeds

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFGurgO4sf0&t=577s

Fascinating. Never knew about about it.
Yes, I was on silent. Shutter speed was about 25.

I’ve not come across this before on any Sony lenses or my 7artisans lens. Neither had I come across this when I was a Canon boy. Only done this when I attached that cheap 135mm and adapter.
I’m learning new things all the time. Cheers

It rarely troubles me, but I have encountered the issue (very) occasionally with LED lights at music venues

Fascinating. Never knew about about it.
Yes, I was on silent. Shutter speed was about 25.

I’ve not come across this before on any Sony lenses or my 7artisans lens. Neither had I come across this when I was a Canon boy. Only done this when I attached that cheap 135mm and adapter.
I’m learning new things all the time. Cheers

Just to be clear this is nothing to do with the lens. Switch from the electronic shutter to the mechanical shutter and the banding should go away.

Back