Lines of Communication

Edit My Images
No
I was playing with receding lines as a compositional element in capturing these tiny ants in context rather than just the ants themselves. They are tiny buggers, a couple of millimetres I guess, and I had to wait until they walked into shot. But no sooner had I set it up, these two walked in, met each other and said hello. Just long enough for me to focus and shoot. Really lucky. Natural light, 1/30th second wide open at f4 at 500iso.

CommunicationE LR.jpg

Last edited:
I rather like the coloured version.

Ants at 1/30 sec is a bit interesting. I'm surprised that it worked. Nice that it did though.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment Nick, thank you. I know this shot isn't anywhere near the quality you and the other experts here get, but it was a bit of fun for me. It might spur me to try do better, but not sure I have the patience! (1/30th was tripod assisted but only worked because they were briefly motionless)Yeah, I'll think the colour version is better.

I know this shot isn't anywhere near the quality you and the other experts here get,

I think "quality" is an elusive concept; IMO your image shows a creative artistic/compositional vision, coupled with a happy coincidence with the two ants being there and momentarily not moving, and you managing to capture that moment, and I very much like the result. (And the execution was rather good too.) Keep at it!

Back