Linked/copied images without attribution!

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I have noticed this http://500px.com/photo/40124658 image on my 500px was getting shown on Pinterest and that site at least adds the attribution & link back. But only noticed yesterday by doing a fresh Google image search that tumblr now has and it has been re-tumblr'ed many times including some re-edited to B&W.

This is the first time I have spotted one of my images (I have discovered!) has appeared like this but of course 500px has links for FB, Twitter, Pinterest & Stumbleupon where if like Pinterest at least the attribution happens properly..................but it is the tumblr site that shows no attribution or link back which with some re-posters editing it to B&W is that much more galling.:mad:

Right, got that of my chest ;):(

Only option is to sign up to tumblr and report copyright violation at which point they should take them down. Tumblr really is a ghastly mess full of weirdness yes I know I simply don't get it!

Here we go again .......... Life's too short to spend ages pursuing copyright infringement cases I've found, because they can be made to drag on so long that you lose the will to live, reward not worth the effort, the opportunity cost (time not used productively on what you should be doing instead) etc, etc.

But of course that's what they rely on, so it will continue to happen unless you stand up to it & adopt a "take no prisoners" attitude as I do -works wonders

Unless somehow someone is making money from it then life is too short to follow up for a minimal reward. In fact being honest you'd probably lose sleep and money should you chase. I hate to ask to obvious question, and I don't mean to be funny in any way (I'm genuinely interested) but why post a photo to a photo sharing site if you don't want it to be shared

Unless somehow someone is making money from it then life is too short to follow up for a minimal reward. In fact being honest you'd probably lose sleep and money should you chase. I hate to ask to obvious question, and I don't mean to be funny in any way (I'm genuinely interested) but why post a photo to a photo sharing site if you don't want it to be shared

This kind of covers my views on the matter, the only time I'll pursue infringement cases is if my photo is on a site I don't care to be associated with or if they are using it to make money

Hi Hugh & Matthew

My OP was more by way of an expression of annoyance, because the other 500px linked sites create the attribution whereas the tumblr one allows(?) usage of copyrighted material without link back and /or attribution. And yes I know it has become quite widespread :(

In regard to sharing ~ yes 500px like Flickr and other very similar ones is indeed a sharing site but on the portfolio model, as I see it, to create a (shop)window for ones images so sharing with attribution is not at issue.

Having said that TP is also a sharing site and though as in Hugh's case he is Wedding, Portrait & Boudoir photographer and sorry if I have missed any image posting there are likely some folk that would check your website out and take as a given that images posted are for sharing {copyright notice or not} so as has been stated before on the likes of TP & PoTN the miscreants see all such publically posted imagery as a free for all. Ignoring the fact that sharing is not about giving, sadly there are just too many people that see it that way.

So it does boil down to the amount of time and energy consumed in chasing down the infringements to take action.................in the case of my Peruvian Owl not likely but Hugh what for example if your boudoir 'placeholder' image was so misused how would you feel and what action would you feel inclined to take? To use your expression I am genuinely interested because as you do make a living from your photography such copyright infringements are surely important to (sometimes) make a case for action?

I think Matthew makes a good case for "in context" argument for when to take action....................and though I have yet to recheck any of the tumblr sites using my Owl image I would agree with his sentiment in respect of "bad sites" and commercial usage of any of my images!

The biggest thing with Tumblr is tracking it all down, there's a few of my images that have ended up there via Flickr, though generally from Flickr they do link back but they have been re blogged on there thousands of times so it is completely impossible to police it all :(

So it does boil down to the amount of time and energy consumed in chasing down the infringements to take action.................in the case of my Peruvian Owl not likely but Hugh what for example if your boudoir 'placeholder' image was so misused how would you feel and what action would you feel inclined to take? To use your expression I am genuinely interested because as you do make a living from your photography such copyright infringements are surely important to (sometimes) make a case for action?

I do get why you're annoyed.

To answer your question, I always ask myself a couple of questions first, what will doing this achieve? do I mind? what do I want to happen and whats the likely outcome?. To give you a couple of examples.

There is a bride who has taken a couple of my photos of a local venue and put them on her personal b log about her wedding this April. I could get the host to take them down, but then she'd think I'm a dick. Its very bad for me to have local brides thinking I'm a dick and any outcome can only be bad for me. So I'm going to smile quietly and move on.

In october I found another wedding photographer using some of my photos to promo themselves. I issued a takedown and an invoice for unauthorised usage.

I think its a case of picking your battles and choosing what to be annoyed about. Its so common now I think thats th only way. Which doesn't make it right, but I think you have to follow a pragmatic approach

Back