List the square format 135 cameras please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I did any film photography (due to Covid 19 work overload ) and attempting to move house but now I feel it is the time I got back into the real manly or girlie if you are girl pursuit of film photography ( not the digital nasty stuff used by pretend photographers ) I'm looking for a square format 135 camera and only know of the Diana mini but is there any others ?

Thanks all

Last edited:
The Elca2 of around 1951 was a square format on 35mm and had reasonably good performance.
The Robot Cameras were high end square format
Though their Robot royal went full frame.
There were a number of cheap and cheerful models around in the 50s, I think Comet made a few, but not very good.

Half frame morsels were far more common and usually rather better, and some very good indeed.

Also add the Zeiss Tenax to your list. IMO when I last looked, square 135 was very unreasonably priced and I made the decision to stick with 126 and my Instamatics. I really like the square aspect but MF is truly where that format is at sadly. Unless you have the £££s for those rare 135 things though. Or can deal with the sprocket holes of 126.

Thanks everyone , I'll have a look at the cameras mentioned. I do really like using the Holga with it's square format but it is the only medium format camera I have used. So thought I would see if there were 135 cameras that would do it.

Thanks everyone , I'll have a look at the cameras mentioned. I do really like using the Holga with it's square format but it is the only medium format camera I have used. So thought I would see if there were 135 cameras that would do it.

The strange thing is that when the Rolleiflex and later the Hasselblad were the standard professional and serious amateur camera of choice. We almost never made square prints.
I can not ever remember making a standard square print. All clients expected 10x8 prints or equivalent format in larger sizes. Photographic paper was not made in square sizes

I used to black out the corners of the focus screens on my follies so as to be more able to "see" the correct format in vertical and landscape orientation.

The only square format prints that I ever made were 3 meter square for store window background display.

I recently bought two Robots, 24mm x 24mm format, up to 50 frames on a 36 exposure film, a Star and a Junior. Exquisitely made, coat pocket size compact cameras, though surprisingly heavy. The Star is the best from a practical point of view as it takes standard 35mm cassette on the feed side as does the Junior, the difference being that the Star has a rewind crank. It you go for one check that the take-up cassette is included, the camera is unuseable without it. And the lenses, which are interchangeable, are first class. Be aware though that Robots, apart from the full frame Royal, are zone focussing. There is a picture in official-i-have-a-new-film-related-toy-thread, sorry not sure how to insert a precise link to my post here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...a-new-film-related-toy-thread.239121/page-275.

Wow they look fantastic Peter, that is exactly the sort of thing I would go for, Most likely the Star for it's ease of use that you pointed out.

Back