Listing disappeared from Google

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Up until a couple of days ago if you typed in Greenlees Photography to Google it would show up as the first listing much as expected. I was speaking to a client today and he told me that it wasn't showing and sure enough when I checked it had disappeared. The URL is http://www.greenlees-photography.com

I had the same problem about 18 months ago when it was a Flash site (some people said that might be the problem) but about 4/5 weeks ago I changed to a Wordpress blog with a ProPhoto theme and have been doing a lot of reading up on SEO. I even managed to submit a sitemap (I think :D).

Any ideas?

I just did a Google-search using Greenlees Photography as the key words in the search and see that even with the UK radio button selected it still doesn't come near to being at the top. I've seen this before, where a site slips down the 'rankings' in Google.

My assumption Hacker is that other sites have got better key-words or phrases in their criterion (e.g. Green, greenless, photo, photography, etc) that make the Google engine rise them above the Greenlees Photography site for results seen.

As I understand it key words are not as important as other 'related' sites linking to yours.

Google have got wise to the multi key worded site.

Google have recently changed the way they rank sites and apparently are now very content orientated (both quantity and recent updates and links)

I've just gone to a professional web designer to sort mine out. Will get the proposal back in the next week or so.

not sure why you have dropped off google, but it has done it to me before, where i went from page 1 to 4 for a few days, then jumped right back up.

make sure you are using the latest WP install and plugins. "all in one SEO" plugin is a must if you arent using it already :)

Up until a couple of days ago if you typed in Greenlees Photography to Google it would show up as the first listing much as expected. I was speaking to a client today and he told me that it wasn't showing and sure enough when I checked it had disappeared. The URL is http://www.greenlees-photography.com

I had the same problem about 18 months ago when it was a Flash site (some people said that might be the problem) but about 4/5 weeks ago I changed to a Wordpress blog with a ProPhoto theme and have been doing a lot of reading up on SEO. I even managed to submit a sitemap (I think :D).

Any ideas?

If google is updating its indexes you might be punted down the rank for a few days.. that is pretty normal i would say. I do seo for my website design clients and i see this happen all the time. If i was you i would assess your title, description and first intro paragrah for the page that was ranked well and rewrite them... google might be thinking your stuff is getting stale and thinks its time to give some one else a chance. Google is always looking for new content after all that is what the search engine is for so if your stuff is old then... well need i say more?

In the header of your webpage you have

<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow' />

this is telling google not to index your page. Remove that and you should come back onto the index.

this is telling google not to index your page. Remove that and you should come back onto the index.

I don't know wordpress but apparently you remove it in the admin menu
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/310278

What an absolute star! I just went in and changed the settings, I don't know how it ended up like that. How did you view the header?

Thank you very much!

:clap:

Open the website in your fave browser, right click anywhere and select "view page source"

The robots tag is now gone :D

I like what you've done with your site Hacker. As I'm just in the process of updating my website to wordpress can I just ask what you used to create the flash slideshow at the top? I've been looking for something like that and haven't really found what I want yet.

I don't know how it works, but I am #1 and #2 on google for my disco related website and I have not updated it or done any work on it for the last year. In fact, I have not been actively seeking any work for the disco for over a year and it's still at the top of the rankings.

I can see this lad doing well :D very helpful, you'll fit right in here :clap:

Back