Little bit of help needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, my first post here although i used to browse a lot and some have you may have seen DRZ's very nice shot of me before.
Basically i have a choice of a new digital camera for Christmas as the one i have now is on it's last legs. I'm looking for a point and click, have had a quick look around and so far the Panasonic DMC FX55 or Panasonic DMC TZ3 have been my favourites.
Any more suggestions? Reviews and opinions?

Hi Blackstar, welcome to TP.:wave:

Sorry nobodies been of any help to you yet, it's often quiet here on the weekends, they're all out taking photo's.:)
I don't have much knowledge of P&S cameras but I'm sure someone will be along who can offer you more help soon.
In the meantime have a bit of a search on here.(y)

'er indoors has got a little Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9. It's a cracking little camera and being the size of a fag packet, it's genuinely pocketable. It produces excellent results, benefiting from a Leica lens. In all but the best light all Panasonics can tend to exhiibit a bit too much noise, but I think the situation has improved somewhat with later models.

Gandhi who posts here used one of the Panasonic 'bridge' SLR like cameras for a while and got great results with it. No doubt if he sees this he'll comment. :)

Hey hey Blackstar :D I took a quick look at the TZ3 and one thing stood out in the review. "Still too much noise reduction, which smears details once the ISO leaves 100" That means it will soften your photos. Being an automatic camera it may change the ISO when it feels like it and you may never get sharp photos compared to other models. Annoyingly it seems that the FX55 does the same with noise. I'm not really up on compacts so that might be the same for all. The Canon IXUS 800 IS looks good at £279. The Canon A570 IS also looks great, but its a little bulky for a compact. The Fujifilm Finepix F31fd seems great. Basic thing to look for in a review is the noise handling. Does it smear, smooth or soften results and to what degree? Don't be taken in by the megapixel race. Its quite possible that a 6mp camera is better than a 9mp. If you're looking to print up to A4 3mp will do fine.

Thanks Pete i was waiting for you to show up, will harass you some more in a 3 weeks :D

Blackstar - after much research my better half bought the Canon 900Ti - fabulous in every respect. It doesn't have the IS like it's sister the 900IS, but that's just preference. It's solid, well designed & produces superb images. Well, eventually Canon had to make one....!!!

Hi Blackstar,
Have you got your camera yet. I personally use a canon DSRL, but i favour fuji, for compact p&s. I got my mum one last year, she's really happy with it. and I'm quite shocked at the quality. It was a cheap one with no frills, and delivers the goods. My Dad has a canon powershot which he really likes, it's similar in ways to a DSRL, so great if your considering that route later. He also had used Nikons before, and wont go back to them. Fuji also do similar inbetween models (ie like and DSRL, but not) and I've used them as well. As long as you know they're strengths and weaknesses, you'll be very happy with them. Let us know how you get on.

Back