Little Bug shot from Quarry Bank Mill

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Good Evening

I was at Quarry Bank Mill with a friend last week and we were snapping away when we noticed this small bug (fly?) on a small tree stump coverd with moss and fungus. The colours were great and I tried getting some closer shots and capture the colours.

I am fairly new to TP and photography so would like some opinions on the first picture and the one after.

Any C&C would me most welcome to help improve my skills.

Thanks

Matt

Don't move!! by MattJMilli, on Flickr

Fly on fungus by MattJMilli, on Flickr

Thanks to Hayley for helping me to get the photos to appear :)

Last edited:
there nice, although really in need of a much closer crop for me as the bug is being lost, and it doesn't really give the impression that he was your main focus in the picture,

and when posting your pictures into here you need to use the bb codes, to do this click onto your photo, then go into the share options (drop down box) click grab the HTML/BB code then there's 2 selection boxes at the bottom select bb code and then copy that into your post and photo should appear

hope this helps
hayley

Thank You Hayley,

I appreciate your comments and help for putting photos in post. I did try a much closer crop of the bug on one shot however the noise is quite bad on the photo. I am trying to improve this.

Matt

Kit wise I have a Fuji Finepix HS10 which of course is a bridge camera with a fixed lens and is not a full dslr. I got this at the end of last year as a starter camera and I am slowly getting used to this camera. Camera has a 24-720mm lens. All the bug pictures were taken hand held. I was not using any macro filter on the end of my lens to take the shots. For some of the bug shots I used the camera's macro mode/super macro mode and for others I did it manually setting the camera myself. I think they are OK and I really liked the colours in them. I found as I am assuming most photographers find out bugs, birds and other animals in nature never want to stay still for you.

The first shot above looking at the EXIF data was ISO 100, taken on Manual at focal length 24.9mm at shutter 1/60th aperture f/4.5.

As I said I did take another shot of the bug which I attempted to crop and put on flickr but the noise I think is quite bad even for the picture at ISO 100 at about the same distance to the bug as the first picture above. I will attempt a different crop and see if it looks any better.

Processing software I am currently using Picasa 3, lol...I have to laugh because I know that is not great at all. The main family PC gave up two weeks ago so I am now on a laptop that is old and does not really have any capacity at all. I tried to use Photoshop and my laptop just froze and refused to continue.

Hopefully at the end of the month a new PC will be arriving so I can use something a bit better then Picasa.

Apologies for sounding a complete newbie, and I am sure it sounds like I have no kit at all. I wanted to fully get used to the camera before I started to get loads of kit that I may not use or how to use properly. Also at some point once completly confident with the camera I have got I would like to get a full dslr.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Don't know why, but I don't appear to be able to add you as a friend!

Anyway, I agree with Hayley, the bug is lost.
I hear what you say about the noise.
Have a look for Noiseware Community, it's free and does a good job of clearing noise.
There are plenty of other free ones, there is probably a thread on here listing them!

Now tell me you took some shots of that fungi too.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info on the noise reduction I will give it a try and give another go on the crop of the bug.

I did put two shots on flickr of the colourful fungi. I have a few others but I did not put them up. I have put the two from flickr below. I was not overally happy with them. Thought they were a little boring but loved the colours and they were closer shots, not wider angle showing more!!

Colourful Fungus by MattJMilli, on Flickr

Interesting colours by MattJMilli, on Flickr

I will try adding you as a friend and see if I can do it.

Matt

Now that I have got the new PC I will give it a try and see what difference it makes. Just been very hectic at the moment with work and training.

Back