Little fly

fantastic..................................

note the "altiers" white things under the wings..... all flies need these to enable direction in flight,, like the rear propeller on a helicopter.

fantastic..................................

note the "altiers" white things under the wings..... all flies need these to enable direction in flight,, like the rear propeller on a helicopter.

Thanks, Your a star!! i have always wondered what these things (altiers) are for (y)

Wonderfull shot. I live in hope of getting a shot like this with my Canon 60mm macro lens

Thanks mate (y)

Wonderful detail John. I've always wondered what those things were too and now I know.

You've captured lovely detail in the compound eye. Can I ask the lens you used for this?

Thanks for comments, always appreciated. Ian, i used the Tamron 90mm. It's an old manual adaptall version that was used by the previous owner on film cameras. He had stored it away for 3 years and sold it to me for £100, it is in mint condition :)

Great picture John, posing nicely for you like a good boy (y)

Thats a beauty John (y)

Are you still using that 'blue peter' diffuser?

John - that's a fantastic shot !
Also like the way the background colours are split between the green and yellow by the body of the fly.

Is this really just with a 90mm Macro - no tubes or Raynox ?
I know I'm only a macro noobie but I'm getting no where near this sort of detail :notworthy:

:)
Thats a beauty John (y)

Are you still using that 'blue peter' diffuser?

Thanks Chris, Yes same diffuser ;)

John - that's a fantastic shot !
Also like the way the background colours are split between the green and yellow by the body of the fly.

Is this really just with a 90mm Macro - no tubes or Raynox ?
I know I'm only a macro noobie but I'm getting no where near this sort of detail :notworthy:

Thanks Steve, i used kenko tubes with the lens, a 12mm and 20mm :)

Last edited:
Cracking detail in the shot John. I used to have the same lens, but sold it .... :bang: :bonk: oh silly me, thought I was getting a better lens with the sigma, more of a sideways step I think. We live and learn...........

Dave ....

back for another look ....could you show me the diffuser you made, and is the flash off camera thanks mark..

No problem Mark, Here is the diffuser, it's just made out of cardboard and gaffa tape, the front is a piece of white diffusion gel sheet, pic also shows bracket holding flash off cam :)

Back