Little Grey Fergie

Ahh, I've got a soft spot for old tractors.

Great memories for me.
As a boy I worked on a farm at weekends and during holidays.
They had a TVO and a diesel grey fergie.
In those days you could take a tractor test at 16 and I did and passed. Enabled me to drive on the road.

I used to use a TEF-20, (same but diesel) which we knew as a Valljapie.
They never stop, just keep going :)

I'm sure there was some petrol ones around as well, but really can't remember

Last edited:
Lovely images of a lovely machine!

We also have a Fergie (well, 2 actually), one of which I use to go to Tesco for the weekly shop if the weather is clement and time is not an issue.

Is the tractor slow enough over the ground for the mower without a reduction box?

We also have a Fergie (well, 2 actually), one of which I use to go to Tesco for the weekly shop if the weather is clement and time is not an issue.

Is the tractor slow enough over the ground for the mower without a reduction box?

It's a very long time ago now, my father bought our TED in 1958, I first drove it in 1959 continuing until 1963 when my parents sold the smallholding, but I'm certain that our mower's cutter was driven by the power take off placed between the rear wheels.

:agree: and I'm envious of the fact that you get to drive a Fergie to go shopping.:)

It's a very long time ago now, my father bought our TED in 1958, I first drove it in 1959 continuing until 1963 when my parents sold the smallholding, but I'm certain that our mower's cutter was driven by the power take off placed between the rear wheels.
Indeed it was - it's the speed of the tractor over the ground I was querying - things such as rotovators require a lower ground speed than the normal gearbox can provide and you need an added reduction gear box - I was just wondering how well the mower coped without that bolt on (or in) goody.

Hi all, apologies for not replying sooner, was rushed to hospital early Monday and only got home yesterday. Everything is ok now, well as far as it can be.

I'm both pleased and surprised at the reaction to these images. I'm especially pleased about the memories that were stirred for some of you, the Fergie is pretty iconic, a bit like the Morris Minor and Mini. This was the first time this on had been in daylight for many years. I found it in an ancient barn when I went to view a house I was thinking of buying. These pictures were taken in late afternoon as we prepared to load her onto the trailer, we had to pull Fergie out with a Landrover but eventually got her loaded.

The pictures are, I think, hand held in camera HDR's due to the awful light by the time we got it out of the barn. I don't particularly like HDR but on this occassion it seems to have worked well.

I have to say I know very little about the Fergusson but have now replaced the carb and got it running very sweetly. I do know that I will need many parts to get the finger mower working again, the old fellow I bought it from hit something hard with it the last time he used it and bits went in all directions!

Thanks again to everyone for the great comments.

Adrian

Back