Little lady

Name
Irina
Edit My Images
Yes
A little test for my new 50mm 1.8 TMS lens
I am pretty happy with the result, i can fit more of the subject into the frame from the same position (compared to my 85mm), but the real test would be when i can find a group of people to shoot :)
The only down side its a bit slow focusing.
Any comments welcome, especially regarding the crop and post-processing

P.s. I can't get it right with number 3, but cant really figure out what local adjustment it needs
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A really nice set, the last two being my favourites. She's a little cutie.

As above, i like the 3rd the best with a great eye contact. It's a stunning girl and a great picture.

I think it's about time to lower the bottom of her bed? She look like she could easily jump out :wideyed:!

As above, i like the 3rd the best with a great eye contact. It's a stunning girl and a great picture.

I think it's about time to lower the bottom of her bed? She look like she could easily jump out :wideyed:!

Thank you! Funny enough, i Did not want to post nr 3 at first as i was not sure about post processing
Haha! I thought someone would mention the cot :) we have lowered it yesterday after i took those photos. She cant pull up to standing by herself yet, i helped her to do that just for the photo

Thank you! Funny enough, i Did not want to post nr 3 at first as i was not sure about post processing
Haha! I thought someone would mention the cot :) we have lowered it yesterday after i took those photos. She cant pull up to standing by herself yet, i helped her to do that just for the photo

She'll learn quickly! I have a boy which is just eleven months and in 3-4 weeks he had his first 3 teeths, learned walking, going up the stairs and leaping down our bed on his own. Pretty scary and tiresome! But it's so lovely to see them growing :). How old is your little girl? She looks a really happy girl.

She'll learn quickly! I have a boy which is just eleven months and in 3-4 weeks he had his first 3 teeths, learned walking, going up the stairs and leaping down our bed on his own. Pretty scary and tiresome! But it's so lovely to see them growing :). How old is your little girl? She looks a really happy girl.
I bet he keeps you all busy :)
Sophia will be 11 month in a few days and just had her first tooth, so more to come for us

3 and 4 are really good. Well balanced and processed nice and subtly for me. I do prefer the colour as the face just pops that little more but thats just my personal taste

Lovely shots, another vote for #3 and 4 in colour too. She's adorable, make the most of it they grow up fast!

2, 3 and 4 are good, the eye contact in 3 is great.
1 seems to lack a point of focus, there's no face or eye to focus on and (to me) the hand is just slightly out of focus so even that doesn't seem to be the focal point, though I can see what you were aiming for.

As for processing 4 works really well in B&W, the colour version is very flat, it needs to be warmed up, it certainly doesn't match the white balance on 3. For the processing on 3, I'd try tweaking the white balance a touch towards the pink side on the Tint slider, just enough to bring the face back from being too white.

I spent much of the evening editing baby photos too, so came across similar issues.
Hope that helps.

sorry but No4 doesnt work for me- missed focus ruins it

Les

2, 3 and 4 are good, the eye contact in 3 is great.
1 seems to lack a point of focus, there's no face or eye to focus on and (to me) the hand is just slightly out of focus so even that doesn't seem to be the focal point, though I can see what you were aiming for.

As for processing 4 works really well in B&W, the colour version is very flat, it needs to be warmed up, it certainly doesn't match the white balance on 3. For the processing on 3, I'd try tweaking the white balance a touch towards the pink side on the Tint slider, just enough to bring the face back from being too white.

I spent much of the evening editing baby photos too, so came across similar issues.
Hope that helps.
Thank you for the constractive feedback, that is what i was hoping for. I will play with white balance a bit more.
In nr 1 focus is on the flower on her dress..i was aiming for it to be on her hand though..

Her foot is not infocus thats for sure

I'm struggling to see any part in focus to be 100% blunt, as Phil ( above) said "nor are her eyes", the eyes are the most important part in a portrait, windows to the soul and all that :)

maybe try a smaller aperture than the one you used?

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm struggling to see any part in focus to be 100% blunt, as Phil ( above) said "nor are her eyes", the eyes are the most important part in a portrait, windows to the soul and all that :)

maybe try a smaller aperture than the one you used?

Les
Agree with this, although you dont really see the eyes here, missed focus could be avided

A great set of shots with some real love involved in the taking. Number 2 & 3 are my favourites (especially the face she's pulling in number 2).
Thanks for sharing.

Agree with this, although you dont really see the eyes here, missed focus could be avided

As I previously said, maybe try a smaller aperture! The eyes in No 2 and No 3 are out of focus too, that's what I was referring too, sorry for the confusion
and yes missed focus can be Avoided :)

Keep at you'll get there :)

Les

Sorry @Iren
I'm slightly dismayed by the quality of crit here lately :(

When someone so clearly misses focus it shouldn't lead to a wealth of 'great pics' with just a couple of people pointing out the flaw. The technical issue should be acknowledged otherwise the OP gets a skewed opinion of their own ability.

I'm afraid there is no excuse for missing focus with modern cameras and lenses, there's not a single 'keeper' in these 4 shots. I don't want to sound brutal but someone has to point it out.

As the OP has aspirations to to this professionally, we need a reality check - I shot >2000 images at the weekend and focus errors confined <0.1% to the bin, the other 70% that get binned will be purely because they were 'less strong' images. That's what we should be aspiring to, and being unable to capture an in focus shot or indeed realise that fact is something that requires some real work I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Sorry @Iren
I'm slightly dismayed by the quality of crit here lately :(

When someone so clearly misses focus it shouldn't lead to a wealth of 'great pics' with just a couple of people pointing out the flaw. The technical issue should be acknowledged otherwise the OP gets a skewed opinion of their own ability.

I'm afraid there is no excuse for missing focus with modern cameras and lenses, there's not a single 'keeper' in these 4 shots. I don't want to sound brutal but someone has to point it out.

As the OP has aspirations to to this professionally, we need a reality check - I shot >2000 images at the weekend and focus errors confined <1% to the bin, the other 70% that get binned will be purely because they were 'less strong' images. That's what we should be aspiring to, and being unable to capture an in focus shot or indeed realise that fact is something that requires some real work I'm afraid.

Thank you for your opinion Phil!

Thank you for your opinion Phil!
Sorry, I edited my post, focussing errors on less than 20 images in over 2000 is <0.1%*

Anyway - I'm sure you get the point :)

*And as @mike weeks pointed out in another thread yesterday - every shot lost to errors upsets us.

Back