Little Lucy

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I haven't posted any pictures for a while mainly due to not having a laptop to use but now have that sorted and got myself a macbook pro :)

We have tried to get a couple of pictures to use as presents for the grandparents and also on the thank you cards for all her gifts and these 3 shots got my attention in Lightroom

Let me know what you think.

1#
_MG_8120BW by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

2#
_MG_8133BW by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

3#
_MG_8143BW by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

That last one is, for me, an absolute corker. Great shot!

That's the one that's gone on the thank you cards.

I think the catch lights in No1 add a little life and lift the image a little.
For me, the eyes in No3 seem dark and sombre

Yeah can see what you mean on 3 shame there was no catch light on them.

Tired to get bit more detail from the eyes

_MG_8143Edit by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

*Just realised the its slightly different crop to the one above. i lost the original when my PC died but had the original RAW so tried to recreate it on my new MacBook

Last edited:
Hiya

Just a few thoughts, just my opinion so feel free to ignore.

The re edit of the first one is probably the best of the bunch. Just be careful of your background if you can - the bright area next to the head is a bit distracting.

Respectfully, if it was me, the third one would be binned. For me, the lighting is a bit out. I always want the eyes to grab you in portraits. In this one it's the darkest part. Perhaps a smidge of fill next time or a reflector?

How did you light them and how did you do your black and white conversions?

Shaheed

Hi Shaheed

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for delay in replying.

The bright area is the TV unfortunately as these shots were not planned i should of really done something with that in PP.

They were just light using OCF with diffuser attached and the B&W conversion done in Lightroom.

Going to be trying some more recent ones soon as she changed already so will see how i get on.

Hi James. Whilst i'm no expert i thought i would offer a few words, of course you can just choose to forget or ignore them if you wish.

They are nice enough captures but for my personal taste they are too dark. I don't know what sort of lighting you were using but I think you may have had your light too far away and too high as the shadows are not kind. Take the third one for instance, the eyes are pools of black, dark under the lips and shadows under the chin. Your edits are miles better with the first one probablty the best as the eyes 'pop' more :)

Like Shaheed said, a good portrait needs to have the eyes grabbing you almost.

Please don't take offence as like i say they are nice enough captures and treasured memories

No offence at all Dan always happy for feedback.

I have learnt plenty from the feedback so its all very much appreciated :)

Back