Little Owl at ISO 12800

Lovely shot

Thats bang on Mike for that ISO range Mike ..

Thanks Den, like we spoke about last night, very little PP required, exposed to the right, almost clipping the whites, brought the exposure back a little in post, then a little higher than normal NR settings on the RAW followed by a little extra NR on the greens in PS. No rocket science involved!

Mike

I processed te RAW in DPP4, using the values Luminance 7 and Chrominance 11 - just a guess based on Arash and Artie guide.

in PS I resized the image, added another layer (ctrl+J) then went to Filter -> Noise -> Reduce Noise, set it at '5' then used a mask so I only affected the BG. I left the bird and rock untouched

Mike

I don't see much of a difference with lower ISO files between DPP4 and LR, but I usually use DPP4 anyway out of habit. Might be a difference if I had an expensive 4K screen but I don't!

Once I push the ISO though, DPP4 is the better of the 2, seems to be a little cleaner in my view

Mike

I'm surprised, you'd never guess the ISO was that high. Apart from that, an excellent shot. They have a look about them that no other bird has..almost an indignation that they are having something (a lens) pointed at them..:D See it all the time with Den's shots and always brings gives me a chuckle.

Very nice Mike, I like the pose, looks good on the rock (y).........Impressed, ISO 12800 from a Canon, not bad :p :D

You've taught me a lot about PP'ing mate and its much appreciated (y) I've started using Nik Dfine 2 as an add on to E14. No doubt you'll know that you can selectively reduce noise using the brush just to the back ground.

Just done a quick pass over the bg, a little more care would be needed so as not to overlap onto the bird.

I've had both images side by side and its definitely clean up more, whats your thoughts?

View attachment 104933

Last edited:
Very nice Mike, I like the pose, looks good on the rock (y).........Impressed, ISO 12800 from a Canon, not bad :p :D

You've taught me a lot about PP'ing mate and its much appreciated (y) I've started using Nik Dfine 2 as an add on to E14. No doubt you'll know that you can selectively reduce noise using the brush just to the back ground.

Just done a quick pass over the bg, a little more care would be needed so as not to overlap onto the bird.

I've had both images side by side and its definitely clean up more, whats your thoughts?

View attachment 104933

Very nice Phil (y).

I got rid of the Nik collection a while back as for some reason it kept freezing the computer and never really got to grips with it. Its certainly knocked the last bit of noise off here, a good tool to have available.

Mike

Back