Wild Little owl in June with walking shots added

Hi ,why does it look odd,the owl decided to pose for me before taking the mouse....

Hi, I meant to write unnatural rather than odd…as the owl would not catch a mouse and then place it in the fork of your perch and then pose, therefore the whole shot looks unnatural

Hi, I meant to write unnatural rather than odd…as the owl would not catch a mouse and then place it in the fork of your perch and then pose, therefore the whole shot looks unnatural
Just so you are aware Tracey, Den makes no secret of the fact that he feeds the Owls.
The Owl came for his dinner, obviously was grateful, and in return posed a little before eating it.

Just so you are aware Tracey, Den makes no secret of the fact that he feeds the Owls.
The Owl came for his dinner, obviously was grateful, and in return posed a little before eating it.

I wasn't questioning the fact that the mouse was a free offering i was trying to say in my opinion it does nothing for the image….this is just my opinion of that particular shot, is this not a critique forum? if not then I am sorry for speaking out of turn

Utterly fabulous!... I'm filled with envy, the only owl we have here in Ireland is the Barn Owl! and very few of them sadly:(

Hi Tracy I see u have only 4 messages so you wont be aware of many predator pics on here? You often see predator shots and lots of Sparrow Hawk shots with birds draped over branches apparently dead yet with no marks on them & mice too. JustPaypointshoot!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :exit:

Cracking set as usual Den M8.

I wasn't questioning the fact that the mouse was a free offering i was trying to say in my opinion it does nothing for the image….this is just my opinion of that particular shot, is this not a critique forum? if not then I am sorry for speaking out of turn
Not at all, all I was saying is the fact that Den make no secret of the fact that he feeds the owls, just like lots of other people do,
whether that's mice, Mealworms, some Niger seed or anything else for the target species.
Have a wander around the forum, you will see plenty of tits (et al) on feeders.
Its an accepted part of the birding forum.
Some will try to hide the fact that they "bait"
Some will spend hours on end sitting in a hide to get a shot of an un baited bird,
but in a location that its known to habituate.
Others will spend days trying to track a bird and get the shot as natural as possible.

Hi Tracy I see u have only 4 messages so you wont be aware of many predator pics on here? You often see predator shots and lots of Sparrow Hawk shots with birds draped over branches apparently dead yet with no marks on them & mice too. JustPaypointshoot!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :exit:Cracking set as usual Den M8.

I think that has it covered ;)

Hi Tracy I see u have only 4 messages so you wont be aware of many predator pics on here? You often see predator shots and lots of Sparrow Hawk shots with birds draped over branches apparently dead yet with no marks on them & mice too. JustPaypointshoot!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :exit:

Hi, im not sure what you mean…i have only just joined but have been looking at this forum for some time now so have seen thousands of images including the ones I take myself, and yes they may well drop an item of prey for a while but not deep in the fork of a tree so i stand by my critique. I have taken shots myself of baited hawks and owls so I'm not pointing a finger here, I don't think i will bother offering my thoughts anymore as obviously it offends

Hi, im not sure what you mean…i have only just joined but have been looking at this forum for some time now so have seen thousands of images including the ones I take myself, and yes they may well drop an item of prey for a while but not deep in the fork of a tree so i stand by my critique. I have taken shots myself of baited hawks and owls so I'm not pointing a finger here, I don't think i will bother offering my thoughts anymore as obviously it offends

Welcome to the Forum Tracey.

Don't be disheartened, unfortunately this particular section has more than its fair share of malfunctions. I agree completely about the shot, the bait mouse detracts from an otherwise very good image.

Ah well. It looks as though we won't be seeing Tracey again anyhow because of the 'unfriendly' way she's been treated on this Thread (her words not mine).:rolleyes:

That needs a slight ccw rotation as the level and angle the water is at makes the whole picture look out of kilter imo.

Your comment is appreciated and respected Tony

I had a long dinner today so I thought I would try something different, not perfect by a long way I knowLittle owl at home by den9112, on Flickr

i tend to agree with brash's view on this one - the water is on the wonk (or appears to be) - other than that its a cracking image just needs to go a couple of degrees left hand down

i tend to agree with brash's view on this one - the water is on the wonk (or appears to be) - other than that its a cracking image just needs to go a couple of degrees left hand down
Hi, I appreciate you taking time to look and comment,my first shot and second shot are basically test shots ,i may have to spend some time in the landscape section for some tips, its a totally different perspective in getting shots of the owl like this ,what i concentrated on in the first shot was the horizon, I tried to get that level without looking at the water, but its a good position to be in when i can at least have another go at them

Its always a tricky call if you have to choose between horizon and water, but my vote is its better to have the water level, as its more glaringly obvious if its not ( If your camera does have a built in level I'd suggest getting one of those little spirit levels that sit on the hot shoe (assuming you arent using flash of course)

The second landscape is better with water level - but IMO the framing cuting the footpath sign in half detracts - I'd say either frame higgher to exclude the finger or lower to include the whole thing

Reactions: den
A cracking set of images Den, the time and effort put into gaining the Owls trust has certainly paid off.

The only images I am a little unsure of are the aforementioned picture with the mouse in the 'v' of the perch and the owl on the signpost. The first is a lovely shot however if you are aiming for a 'wild' feel then the position of the owl in relation to its prey is a little unnatural, the second I am a little distracted by the background being too clear............though that's probably due to me being a sucker for oof backgrounds.

That being said it would be a little unfair to ignore the rest of the shots which are really very good and certainly an inspiration to getting out with the camera.

The only images I am a little unsure of are the aforementioned picture with the mouse in the 'v' of the perch and the owl on the signpost. The first is a lovely shot however if you are aiming for a 'wild' feel then the position of the owl in relation to its prey a little unnatural

This was my point exactly!!

Back