B&W Live music in near darkness :-)

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
So I was playing bass in a band at a pub on Sunday night in Surbiton, Surrey.

Mostly for the kicks to see what I could do with it, I took my along my new Sony A7 to take some photos of the other act on the bill, Maria Ahearn.

There was one serious challenge to contend with; the lighting was awfully dim - 1/60 sec, f/1.8 at ISO 25600 was not unusual.

Oh, and to make life more interesting, I was using a bunch of manual focus lenses of various vintages (CZ 28mm 2.8, FD 50mm f/1.4 and FD 85mm f/1.8 mostly). So, no autofocus for me :)

[URL=http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/cybertects/media/music/20131215_surbiton/20131215_0126.jpg.html][/URL]

ISO 25600?!? Blimey, those are very clean considering. I don't like going over 3200 on my 650D...

Well, it is full frame and I have 24 Mpx to play with, so that hides a fair bit at web resolution.

With some careful PP (I prefer a fairly light touch with noise reduction) the noise it generates does render to a not-too-unappealing 'grain' in b/w without too much banding.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with those, they look good.

This doesn't apply to the band in your pictures but I always wonder why the majority of musicians wear black when they play in dark rooms, usually with black curtains behind them!

EDIT: A guitar geek question - do you know what guitar that is?

Steve.

ISO 25600?!? Blimey, those are very clean considering. I don't like going over 3200 on my 650D...
o_O
gobsmacked old chap..
like the tenor man's style...i used to play reeds
then bass
what instrument are you addicted to?...i wont ask what strings you use...:LOL:

cheers
geoff

Looks pretty good considering the conditions.

So is that your 4x10 Trace Elephant :)

Looks pretty good considering the conditions.

So is that your 4x10 Trace Elephant :)

have you tried tc electronics stuff...both of you?

hijack getting close

Seriously impressed with these. Numbers 2 and 5 are stunning :clap:

have you tried tc electronics stuff...both of you?

hijack getting close

Well no I haven't, but if was to photograph my gear with a Sony A7, 1/60 sec, f/1.8 at ISO 25600 etc, it would be my Hughes & Kettner rig.

Back to the op, did you rock backwards and forward to manually focus as it were?

(Hijack averted)

Ta peeps

Back to the op, did you rock backwards and forward to manually focus as it were?

(Hijack averted)

A little, but there was a fair bit of "prefocus where you want them and wait for the person to hit the mark" :)

FWIW, that's not my Trace amp. I have a GK 210T cab with an MB 500 head I bought earlier this year, which is wonderfully portable.

Usual gigging instrument for the last 20 years has been a '79 Musicman Sabre, but I recently treated myself to a Squier VM fretless Jazz and I've found myself using it for everything - tempted to go look for a fretless Sabre.

/derail :)

Gigs are a nightmare aren't they - but you've done really well here !

Back