Live-view - just a gimmick???

I just got this vision of photography, disappearing up its own arse..:LOL:

The technology to make it do so may well be developed but choice of whether to use it will still lie with the individual arse's owner.

Bob

Live View in it's current implementation is little more than a gimmick, and I just don't use it. They've missed the whole point by not fitting an articulated screen which would have made it a really useful tool in some situations. Perhaps we're missing the point though, and the articulated screen will be the new 'must have' upgrade of 2009. ;)

Live View in it's current implementation is little more than a gimmick, and I just don't use it. They've missed the whole point by not fitting an articulated screen which would have made it a really useful tool in some situations. Perhaps we're missing the point though, and the articulated screen will be the new 'must have' upgrade of 2009. ;)

That would be almost there. I have a Zigview with detachable monitor and 10m cable...live view from a distance does have benefits...notable with birds and short FL lenses.

Bob

Ooh you cynic :LOL:

Watch this space for that feature appearing on the D300x, and other makes' equivalents

:bang:

DD

I use it quite allot on my Sony.
Which has the tilting screen don't forget, otherwise I wouldn't use it tbh.

Great for ground level shots, to avoid laying in the grass, overhead shots for short arses like me :D
And great for macro shots.

Does the live view image pass out to the AV socket on the D300 ????

I find when taking macro shots vertically downwards that it is a pain to try and look through the viewfinder. The live view would make this much easier, live view on an external monitor would be wonderful !!

When I looked at the features of the D300 over the D200 that I have I think that it is the only one that really jumps out at me.

Ooh you cynic :LOL:

Watch this space for that feature appearing on the D300x, and other makes' equivalents

:bang:

DD
As I mentioned a few posts up, this is already implemented on the E-3 which has a fully articulated screen.

You do realise that when Canon read this they'll delay the 5D replacement for even longer don't you ?? :LOL:

I have used it for macro and landscapes, and used the "live view + tether" at home,just to try it out but it'll be worth trying in the studio.

My Olympus C5050Z has a tilt screen on the back and it's really useful.

Steve

i agree that untill the articulated screen becomes reality then unless you are looking pretty much dead on with the screen its limited in its uses. I cant understand why the R&D dept did not realise this.
When i move upto the 40D im sure it will be a feature i would like to use but find i cant get on witth its limitations

I have a Olympus E3 with an fully articlulated Live View screen and it is great for those times when the camera is, low down, high up, in an odd position etc etc etc.

It would appear the other camera manufactures are playing catch up :D

I have found my live view a god send a few times now. Not being able to move around as much as most folk, I have used it with good results.

I can see why most would think it's a gimmick, but for me it's a it more than that and I am chuffed my camera has that option (40D) :)

Here are 2 of my most recent Live View shots. There is no way I could have gotten down to the right level for these shots without it!

There is no way I could have gotten down to the right level for these shots without it!

Well Im glad you did, because we had our lovely Black Labrador, Jed, put to sleep on Thursday and I am coming down to steal that kitten and smother it with kisses! I have never seen anything as wonderful. :love: :love:

Not sure my other 2 cats would agree though! :LOL:

And I thought I was the only person who liked live view......:) I'm with Jo - live view has enabled me to get shots that would otherwise I would not have bothered with. That's not to say that I could not have got them, just that live view makes it easier. Regarding the articulated screen issue.......I am happy with the viewing angle on my 40D, it is workable over about 160 degrees, and to be honest I doubt if I would ever need anything wider than that....

One feature that I noticed on the 450D, that is surely of benefit to novices etc, is the built in 'rule of thirds' grid you can use in live view, which would be helpful in learning to compose shots.

Back