Live view

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
How many of you use live view for tracking subjects -sports shots etc?

I tried the 7D live view AF, and its amazing. Even though its contrast, it was MILEs faster than the 500D hat I tried at the time. Still wouldn't use it for tracking stuff though..

I stay away from live view, don't like it. Only use it to get the best focus in a non moving objects and then only when im on a tripod. I could never use it for sports or fast moving things.

I've very recently bought a D90 after 30 odd years without a SLR.

In the interim I've used compacts with live view, so when I went for a DLSR it had to have live view.

But I'm surprised how little I use it and then only on a tripod.

Even then I find it a PITA.

I use it when I have the time to be faffing about with live view, as it delivers crisp sharp results compared to quick-AF.

On a tripod, I use it all the time if I can. Works brilliantly, but only when the light is quite low and you can actually see the screen properly. Not good for action though.

I've never used live view af :(

I use AF or live view and zoom and manually focus, then again when I have time to use LV I have time to MF

My s9600 has a foldout tilting screen, so I use it all the time. I love using it as a waiste high viewer, or to reach over my head. Makes life easy.

How many of you use live view for tracking subjects -sports shots etc?

I would suggest that the only LiveView system currently upto that would be Sony's - it use a separate sensor for LiveView which lets it use the normal phase detect AF rather than the much slower contrast detect.

I would suggest that the only LiveView system currently upto that would be Sony's - it use a separate sensor for LiveView which lets it use the normal phase detect AF rather than the much slower contrast detect.

That would defeat the purpose of contrast detect-AF. I am sure a faster CPU a few years later will handle it better.

My s9600 has a foldout tilting screen, so I use it all the time. I love using it as a waiste high viewer, or to reach over my head. Makes life easy.

On a bridge camera you're always using live view, technically.

That would defeat the purpose of contrast detect-AF. I am sure a faster CPU a few years later will handle it better.

But would not defeat the purpose of live view!

Live view is brilliant, and I've been using it more and more recently. It's slowness will not allow you to take action/tracking shots though! Contrast view however is unparalleled in sharpness or focus accuracy!

Live view is first class for macro shots of non-moving subjects - it's possible to select the exact point to focus on, then using the magnified view, get very precise focus.

Back