Liverpool Docks - Frozen

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening

I took mainly to capture the frozen dock, but I'd also welcome any critique of composition, PP, etc.

Ripping to shreds is also appreciated :LOL:

With this, I did try to apply rule of thirds but also wanted to get the whole tower reflecting in the ice

Alexandra Tower reflection in Ice by exiledwool, on Flickr

For this I wanted to show that there was still a little unfrozen, or not as frozen water in the dock. But I don't think it adds anything

Princes Half Tide Dock by exiledwool, on Flickr

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, like many I am always reticent to comment as I feel that I'm no expert, but IMHO:

I do no like the composition in 1. The main reason being that the horizon almost cuts the image in half, although i appreciate that you want to keep the whole tower's reflection. I think you nailed it 'widthways' putting the building where you did, but I think it would have been tons better to put that shore line 2/3 the way down the shot. This would also stop the top of the building looking so crammed in to the top of the shot and would lead to more space around that. You would still get the liquid and frozen water in, too. It would be interesting to compare a similar shot without the while tower reflected but with a little more overall harmony.

Number 2? Don't really know what to say about that... It captures the event of the dock freezing, but maybe next time put something in the foreground like a railing or a lifebouy to give it a bit of depth and interest?

Hope these help, and I'm happy for more experienced togs to completely rubbish what I have just said! :D

Last edited:
Btw there's also the obvious... If you wanted the tower and reflection, how about trying portrait orientation next time, not landscape?

Thanks for your comments Andrew, I appreciate them. Maybe I'll revisit and see if I can get the horizon 2/3 in. :)

Did try portrait and will have a look how they came out

Brrr! ... Looks cold ... while we swelter in 40'C heat!

Back