Liverpool exotica .. !

CJR

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Does this work? I liked the "exotic" and the very non-exotic young man walking past! But not sure if he's what should be in focus, rather than the interior of the shop ... :thinking:

Liverpool31March_029.jpg

Any C&C much appreciated, please be honest! :)

Cathy

I don't think it quite works. I like the picture of the shop interior but the out of focus non exotic person just looks as if he got in your way while you were taking the photo. Now if you had got a really exotic looking person, and the person was in focus with the background slightly blurred I think it would have worked much better.

not my cup of tea, the guy is off putting. I do like the shop lights, and if the guy had not got in the way, would have been better.

Nice idea, but it may have worked better if the guy was more OOF than he is. It does look a bit like he's walked into the frame by accident.

Maybe a wider lens may have worked better - I think the crop's too tight anyway - maybe get more of the street in, focus on the shop, and a couple or 3 passers by? Could be some more atmosphere that way.

Good street photography tells a story, or captures a moment - so you're on the right lines - just needs a bit more invention.

HTH

MV

Its still like he's in the way, only now its even more forced because that didn't happen.

Its still like he's in the way, only now its even more forced because that didn't happen.

I agree, but its the sort of thing I was driving at - he's less of a distraction in the edit. I wouldn't have done that though. I'm not keen on altering photos in a way that presents something that wasn't there.

Street photography, imho, begins and ends on the street. You're there to see, to document and to capture. Of course theres a certain amount of processing you do after. Colour or b&w. However, you shouldn't be using processing to change the context of the image. The context is what you captured when you were there. Its what you saw and its what you wanted to comment on. Use your camera to show that. This is why it feels forced to me. Its two seperate elements that have been thrown together and the end result simply feels like he got in the way. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure what he's got in the way of. If its the store I'm thinking of, top of Bold St, I know it well. I'm fairly sure there are other things to comment on there. Its very lively.

to me.. the guy wasnt meant to be in the shot.. but he appeared just as u shot it..
And so you tried to make it as your shot afterwards..
Sorry, for me it doesnt work..

Thanks very much everyone for all your thoughts, it's very much appreciated. (y) You all pretty much sum up my gut feelings towards the shot. The guy did appear by accident, and I thought it was worth trying to make something of the image and seeing what people thought. But no, I agree, it hasn't really worked, and your comments have helped me see more clearly why.

It is indeed the shop on Bold Street, and I tried to take a few shots of it and the staff/custoemrs, but couldn't cope with the dark interior, the bright exterior, and the speed/quick reactions necessary to capture people moving in and out of the different conditions. :shrug:

Thanks.
Cathy

Sometimes a shot like this can help you learn so much more than if the shot had worked :)

It does indeed, thanks Trev!
But it would be nice occasionally to have a shot that does work :( I've had precious few of those lately!! Ho hum ...

Cathy

Back