Living in Hertfordshire?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I currently live in London, but we're thinking of moving fairly soon and will be looking for a house in Hertfordshire (ish). I need to be able to get to work (St. Albans) and my wife to the City (Moorgate).

Areas we are looking into:
Hitchin, Stevenage, Hertford, Ampthill, Hemel Hempstead etc.

Areas that we won't consider:
Luton
Bedford
Watford

Can anyone recommend or tell me to avoid areas? Please don't say 'ALL OF STEVENAGE' etc. because we can't afford to be that picky, but if anyone knows the sure-fire hell holes then we'd be greatful if we could be warned off ;)

As a guide, we'll be looking for a one bedroom house, for significantly under £200k, so as you'll see, it ain't easy!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
James

You don't specify whether you'll both be driving, or public-transport-ing, to work? That will presumably make a different to where you're looking. If driving, then North West Essex will probably be substantially cheaper than Herts.

Whoops. Driving to St. Albans and training to Moorgate!

bedford is great, it is the start of the trains journey so you always get a seat! Lived there for years and loved it! Cycling alongside the river is really lovely!

Other than that, I'd got to Harpenden! (y)

The areas you are looking at are quite expensive so you might want to consider a bit further East into NE Herts or as Witch said NW Essex. I'm in Puckeridge which is just of the A10 and I can get trains to Liverpool St from Ware, Bishops Stortford and Hertford East.

I lived in letchworth for 16 years, there are some very ncie areas there that I could recommend (Manor Park, Lordship Estate, avoid the Grange and Jackmans) if its not too far out. Hitchen also has some nice areas (The poets estate, and near the girls school, avoid near the foot ball ground)

Slightly closer to where you are now but still Herts, and I am told, an up and coming area, though don't take my word for it, is Enfield and its more northerly environs, though whether you would get a house in your price range I am not sure. :shrug:

Trains go straight to Moorgate from the Thameslink line, and no need for the Underground, may be something to consider, although the Thameslink trains can get packed the closer to St Albans you get. Bedford may be an option, or somewhere an easy drive to Luton Airport Parkway which has a good car park and reasonably easy access. Harpenden is nice but certain areas are extremely expensive.

I understand about bedford and luton, but Watfords alright.. some really nice bits of Watford. Or what about Stanmore, Bushey etc.
I used to live in Edgware and quite liked it there, but i'm guessing you are looking for somewhere a bit more upmarket.

There are some very nice areas just outside of Watford, such as Shenley and Radlett but they border onto St Albans so aren't the cheapest. Hertforshire is very ncie county I still ahev family there and enjoy vistijng when I can

one of these days they will egt a spell checker on ehre for me!

I live in Watford and as said there are some nice areas and like everywhere some bad areas.

Theres good and bad bits of Hertford, Ware is quite nice and right next to Hertford

Broxbourne is nice and has a train to liverpool street

Back