Critique Llangattock Escarpment - first outing with graduated ND and ND filter

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes

I used a 4 stop soft edge Formatt Hitech Firecrest and an 8 stop Firecrest ND, which resulted in a 6 second exposure, just enough to add a little blur to the moving clouds. I think a 10 stop would have been better but I only had an 8 or 15 stop. I decided against using a polariser.

The sun is in the shot but behind the clouds. It seemed to me that perhaps 4 stops wasn't enough to bring down the highlights in the sky, which isn't what I expected - though needless to say the shot would have been hopeless without. Perhaps these types of shots are best done with the sun out of the frame?

Last edited:
Personally I'm not a fan of blurred clouds like this at all. Sometimes you have to live with them to get your blurred moving water, ,but I'd rather not!

Sorry.
I agree with him, I get bored of blurred water too, but the image is good..

dont fret...that is a good vp and composition
but as the fellows above say...it can be a trap to 'straight' shooting if you rely on the unusual to be your forte

I'm not a fan of blurred clouds either with such a shutter speed, if it's done subtle then it can look ok. but I do like blurred water and never tire of that if it's done well.

For me, the lack of a foreground interest really hurts this image.

As it's just the first time out with the goodies I wouldn't worry too much.

Have fun!

Cheers,
BK

Back