Local mine

Edit My Images
Yes
Starting a new project shooting old industrial buildings around south wales. This mine is within walking distance of my house.
Let me know how I can improve for next time.

mine1a.jpg

mine4a.jpg

mine5.jpg

mine7l.jpg

mine11.jpg

Thanks

J

its a colliery...a mine has a tunnel you go in...you can see the headframes for the cages to be dropped vertically...big mouth me...what about the shots
no 2 is my favourite as shows the decline of the mining..collierying?..industry
i worked with the coal board at one time and have seen it really go down, along with shipbuilding, where i did an apprenticeship
also the second shot has the shadow of the first headframe just in the right place to fill the frame with continued interest
cheers
geof

It may help if you mentioned the purpose of the project. Are you trying to make some sort of comment on industrial decline or just document these locations for posterity.

Ok its a colliery I'll try and remember that! :)

Project is more to encourage me to get out and take photographs after 12 months of not shooting much. A move to south wales has opened my eyes to the number of interesting old industrial buildings around. And gives me the chance to try something new and hopefully learn from peoples comments.

I think its a shame some of these are being bulldozed for supermarkets and housing developments so there is an aspect of wanting to get in and document them before they all go.

J

Ok its a colliery I'll try and remember that! :)

Project is more to encourage me to get out and take photographs after 12 months of not shooting much. A move to south wales has opened my eyes to the number of interesting old industrial buildings around. And gives me the chance to try something new and hopefully learn from peoples comments.

I think its a shame some of these are being bulldozed for supermarkets and housing developments so there is an aspect of wanting to get in and document them before they all go.

J

i bet there is still loads of coal down there as well...wait till the oil runs out or the arabs and russkies shut the door:geek:

Interesting place and you've gotten some nice photos. 1 and 3 are my favorites, but conversion of any of these photos to B&W could work well, IMHO.

I wasn't sure about them in B&W but thought I'd try the first with selective colour. Not done anything like this before, it was surprisingly easy!

mine1copy1.jpg

J

and unsurprisingly pants........ :shrug:

well done black and white with a hint of blue........

Sorry, but all are a bit "snapshot"

Thanks for your positive input!

Constructive criticism I'm all for but just labeling something as 'pants' and a snap isn't at all helpful for anyone.

I'm new to shooting buildings so I'm posting so I can learn from my mistakes with the help of the more experienced!

So please Lynton don't bother commenting on my photographs again.

J

By the look of the shots it appears that you might be able to get "close up and personal" in there and try some creative shots using obscure angles....just an idea!

i was born in Llanharen
my father worked as an accountant in the Powell Duffryn mine before the war

always interested to see images such as you have posted.....:D

regards

Yes Asha there were a few gaps in the fence unfortunately I has my wife with me and she wasn't keen on crawling though fences and poking around. Hopefully we will get a nice weekend soon for some more exploring!
J

and unsurprisingly pants........ :shrug:

well done black and white with a hint of blue........

Sorry, but all are a bit "snapshot"

Back to your constructive best then I see Lynton :shake:

OK they are not the best ever images, but they are a good representation of our coal heritage. The pit will not stay like that for ever, degredation will set in and there will be no money to repair it. So I applaud you for trying to keep a record of our heritage.
BTW is that Penalta colliery?

Yes it's Penalta.
Hope to get some weather soon so I can give it another go, got lots of ideas.

apologies i was referring solely to the selective colour, which invariably doesn't work well.

OK.

1) seems to be a bit underexposed and too closeup to offer anything of the building or surrondings. It could be anything anywhere.

2) your sensor needs a clean (look at the top of the pic) and i am not a fan of the vignetting. Appreciate it is an industrial scene however the fence and heavy shadows are also distracting. Maybe a high contrast B&W conversion would work.

3) Better but for me it holds no interest.

4) Complete lack of sky. Just what were you trying to achieve here? Maybe if yuo could state what you were trying to achieve, any comments / criticism could be a lot more objective. As it is with the info provided and this image, i will stick by my initial thought of a snapshot, as there doesn't appear to be any thought as regards to angles / composition / metering

5) Probasbly the best of the bunch, though you've clipped off the top and theres something bottom right which would benfit from not being there. Maybe a portrait format would have worked better? Given the lack of anything exciting in the sky, a B&W conversion and upping the contrast could improve things.

5)

Back