Location recommendations - Dorset-ish area. Coast line?

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

In 2 weeks I'll be coming to the UK and spending a few days in Dorset with a friend. He's getting into photography and I haven't been doing enough lately so we plan to spend a couple of days going out with the cameras. We'll be based in Dorset, specifically West Stour and have access to a car. Initially we looked up and found Durdle Door, I should be able to get some decent stuff along there. But wondered if anyone else who knows the area or close by/around there can provide any other suggestions as well?

Thanks in advance :)

Corfe castle is close. Kimeridge bay has some lovely flat rocks with gullies and pools when tide is out. Lulworth cove is round the corner from Durdle door. Durdle door to Weymouth is fairly uninteresting but then you have Portland with the lighthouse and chesil beach, then head towards west bay and as the road goes up the hill (want to say bray hill )there’s some nice stunted windswept trees that look great in low cloud or mist. West bay has some cliffs, fishing boats etc

You'll be falling over yourself for good spots in Dorset.

As well as the Purbecks, consider the Poole to Christchurch coast line (Bournemouth/Boscombe Pier & Hengistbury Head especially), Knowlton Church, Eye Bridge Wimbourne, Gold Hill Shaftesbury, Lyme Regis Cobb etc.

Just back from a week in Dorset - such a fantastic place.

The autumn colour is still reasonably strong in places, but I think it will only last another week or so.

Beech avenue is just about past its best now though.

Lulworth cove is excellent, be aware that most of the coast between Lulworth and Kimmeridge is only open on a weekend as it is an army firing range and closed to the public through the week. We heard machine guns and tanks firing last week.

Kimmeridge is down a toll road so be ready to pay £5 if in a car.

Dave.

Just the other side of DD is Man 'o war bay - do look in there before heading off, especially if you've ben for the sunrise.

Back